5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

RPM's When Shifting A 5spd and How To Double Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:38 PM
1911A1
1st Gear Member

Default RPM's When Shifting A 5spd and How To Double Clutch

I usually run my car up to 2 2andahalf Rpms when shifting casually. I was wondering what the best rpm range is to shift for best fuel economy and engine longevity? How high can I rev it without straining the motor? I heard if you red line that there is no safety and the motor can blow is this true? How do I double clutch and what techniques do you use to tear out? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:49 PM
mallory
1st Gear Member

Default RE: RPM's When Shifting A 5spd and How To Double Clutch

seriouly dude if your conserned about gas milage then you bought the wrong car....but for daily driving under 3500 rpm's is ok for shifting.... with redlineing a motor, yes it has its chances of doing some damage...but no redlineing a motor will not blow up every time...if it did i would be in world of hurt..
Old 06-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Closkey
2nd Gear Member

there's no need to double clutch. That is only required in old big trucks without sychronised transmissions, and in the fast and the furious.
However if you still want to know, you push the clutch pull out of gear, release the clutch, then depress it again while pushing into the next gear.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

WTF is it with people asking this question, no one can tell u how to drive a stick. you can only get slight imput on how to do it. u never shift exactly the same, because the road is always differant. so if u take off going up a hill are u going to shift to second at 2k? no your not, more like 3500 or higher. If u try to stay under 2k all the time your going to strain the motor and its going to use more fuel, drive the car so the motor pulls easy do not dump into it and do not strain it. double clutching is a joke with a syncronized trans. dont listin to F&F movies
Old 06-25-2006, 02:30 PM
1911A1
1st Gear Member

I know hills are different so lets say that 3500 rpms for casualy driving on a regular basis as in at least 3000-3500 every time you shift.I was just worried I would hurt my motor and strain it since the car has 95,000k miles on it. I actually like reving it up to 3000 3500 on every time i shift I was just worried it would be too much strain on an older motor and also kill my gas milleage. So basically I can get good fuel mileage and not hurt or strain my motor at all when running it to 3500 when shifting 1st threw 5th everytime? What the max I can rev with out straining on a straight away? Just wondering because I love reving it but dont want to hurt or strain the car b.c I know how much repairs are and thats the same reason I dont do burn outs. I was also curious what a stock 94 mustang gt 5.0 ho was running horse power wise with a 5 speed. Thanks for the help
Old 06-25-2006, 02:30 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

the fast and furious strikes again lol
Old 06-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

he must of got that from the first fast n furious, when he races the eclipse and loses his car and at the end hes like "i almost had me" and vins like "you never had me, you never had your car" and then hes like "granny shifting not double clutching like you should.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

when i say stain the motor i mean like 5k not a wimpy 3k. a 302 is a very good motor and it will take a lot of punishment. as long as u change the oil, let the car warm up and things like that, u can run the thing pretty dang hard and not worry about it. as i said i cant tell u where to shift that depends on where u are at and what the road is like.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:22 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

The powerband on the stock engine doesnt make much power over 5000 RPM so I wouldnt even take it over that limit. We have a old 1941 Fargo grain truck you have to double clutch, dude no one in their right mind would want to double cluth its such a pain in the ***!
Old 06-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Myfetang
2nd Gear Member

The only time I will double clutch and when its useful, is on highway driving. If I'm going say 110km (65) and I'm in 5th gear, and I need to pass someone quickly, then the best thing to do that I have found is clutch it, take it into nuetral rev it to about 4000rpm and quickly put it into third and go. It allows you do drop your gear properly by matching your RPMS to that suited gear without binding anything in the tranny. Its a good way to downshift properly. My 2 cents

Quick Reply: RPM's When Shifting A 5spd and How To Double Clutch