5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Unpredictable Engine Stop

Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Old John

Default Unpredictable Engine Stop

Ok. Here’s one for ya. I have a 1988 5.0 H.O. LX Hatchback 5 Speed and a 1993 5.0 H.O. LX Hatchback AT (one for each foot). Lately (within the past year), when the air temperature here in Las Vegas gets above 100 degrees F, my favorite 1988 Baby does this strange thing. It stops running. It will have been purring along for hours and then decide it’s finished doing that and the engine simply stops running. It’ll happen at any speed. 75 mph. 25 mph. Idling. There is no tell-tale warning or idiosyncrasy before it happens. It just quits. It feels like someone has yanked all the plug wires off of the plugs. The engine is at its usual cool running self and not even close to overheating. I have no ac, so it’s not on. I am dead in the water. I’ve learned, from its having happened so many times, that if I let the car cool down (which means waiting for the Vegas sun to go down) I can come to it, crank it up and drive away like nothing had happened to it. Runs like the champ it is. So, here’s what I’ve started doing to eliminate the problem. (1) New Igntion Module. (2) New Coil. No change. Next comes (3) New Pickup Coil. (4) New Rotar. (5) New Distributor Cap. (6) New Plug Wires. (7) New EEC-IV Computer. The first thing I checked, after it happened the first time, was an interruption in the fuel supply. That wasn’t it. It also had a new pump in the tank. In my gut, I feel it’s the EEC computer getting hot under the dash and going belly up. I haven’t had the opportunity to pack the EEC in baggied ice and see if it still happens. What do you all think is the problem?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Unpredictable Engine Stop

sounds like it might be your ignition switch...or your TFI...just because its new doesn't mean it works
Old 06-27-2006, 07:06 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

I don't know, but I recently just solved my dying issues. I replaced the ignition switch and lock cylinder, total of $33... It might be worth a try, my ignition switch was busted and the contacts were worn inside. One thing to clarrify, does your radio turn off when the engine does?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
randy lang

How about the relay that controls the fuel pump..........I had a simular problem on an 88. If I remeber correctly it is down there by the computer.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Old John

Ignition switch & cylinder Ok. Thanks TenGram & gr84u.
Fuel Pump, etc. Ok. Thanks Randy.

Old John
Old 06-27-2006, 09:15 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

its definitely the TFI

Old 06-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Old John

lookingforastang,

The ignition module (TFI) has been replaced by a remanufactured module. Thanks.

Old John
Old 06-27-2006, 11:45 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

One thing to narrow it down, when it quits, have you checked for spark or fuel pressure? That would definitely let you know which system is failing. I agree that initial impression is electronic failure in the ignition system. When you replaced the TFI, did you use the grease on the plate on it?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:59 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy lang

How about the relay that controls the fuel pump..........I had a simular problem on an 88. If I remeber correctly it is down there by the computer.
the relay is under the drivers seat
Old 06-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Sup3r52man

I had a similar thing happen to my 5.0. It ended up being the coil inside of the distributor, I ended up just pulling and replacing the distributor, the job was alot easier than it sounded, havent had the problem since, hope it helps..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unpredictable Engine Stop