5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

double clutch or granny shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:49 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

Default RE: double clutch or granny shift

wow. one stupid movie says one stupid thing and we are plauged by it forever.

what paco described is double clutching, aside from blipping the gas pedal. what you are trying to do with that blip is match the engine speed that the tach will read when it is fully engaged in the gear you are shifting down into.

px429, if somebody told you that this was double clutching, they were wrong.

and for all of you who say that it is pointless, well, give it time. when your synchros start going to ****, maybe then youll not think that double clutching is pointless.

granny shifting is akin to granny driving - slow.

and people do it when on a road track so because when done properly there is no lunge from the downshift.

heel toeing is double clutching without putting it in neutral first. they are braking because they need to slow down, staying on the gas with the clutch in to match revs and downshift into the right gear for the turn
Old 06-29-2006, 02:12 AM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

put it in first floor it, shift to second and floor it "right after you shift into second gear don't let go of the gas and pop in the clutch really fast" it puts your car into neutral for a second witch then shoots up your rpms and spins your tires faster. shift to third and do it again. by then the race should be over

That doesn't sound like doubleclutching, more like speed shifting. Anyways, are there a lot of ricers in OC or what? I think i'll be attending college there next year.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:19 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

GRANNY SHIFTIN NO DOUBLE CLUTCHIN LIKE YOU SHOULD! YOUR PATHETIC!!!

Old 06-29-2006, 02:24 AM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

puts your car into neutral for a second witch then shoots up your rpms and spins your tires faster
ok I have a couple points to make.
1.)Why are your tires spinning when youre in neutral, let alone why are they spinning faster.
2.)It is a mustang. If you are worried about your syncros, go cry to Honda and theyll fit you with a sweet civiv. drive the damn car like its supposed to be driven, and if not, when you line up with me in aforementioned civic, be prepared to be owned, by my ****ty syncros and all.

just venting.
alex
Old 06-29-2006, 02:24 AM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

no, thats a step down from speedshifting. speedshifting is just that. (up)shiftingrillyfast

what he is saying is that after it is already in gear, full throttle, push in the clutch and dumping it.

jesus man, where is all of this re tahdidussnuss coming from. was this in the new fast and furious or something¿ i mean, maybe in drifting races this works when torque doesnt to make your car break traction....but these people dont care if they burn out a clutch in one race.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 AM
RacquetballRyan
3rd Gear Member

Ok everyone,

Lets get it straight, everyone should have it by now. This is the 3rd or 4th post about this. (I was one of them[8D]) So here are all the facts I rounded up.
So called "normal shifting" is a thing of the past, and "power shifting" is possibly the most retarded thing I've ever heard. So this leaves "granny shifting" So having said all of this I will proceed to give you both the 411 and 101 on granny shifting
There are two main effects to shifting this way. One is long term, the other is immediate. The immediate difference is your 1/8 and 1/4 times. It will take approximately 2 seconds off of your quarter and 1.2234893261 (on average) off of your 1/8. So if you are one of those losers that ^cough^ powershift ^cough^ or maybe even shift NORMAL, you better recognize and get with the game.
The long term effect has to do with the synchros. This may be a little hard to take in at first, but you must be open minded. Ok, everytime you "warm up" the synchros between shifts you gain .25 hp. So therefore by the time you get to 5th you will have added 1hp to your cars beastly engine. So on a daily drive around town you could add up to 10hp all in a days work. As the weeks and months go by you'll be running -8's in the quarters.
And if you didn't already know this....come on people HENCE THE NAME "GRANNY SHIFTING"
Old 06-29-2006, 03:04 AM
94Cobrakid16
3rd Gear Member

no, usualy highway trucks have 18 speed trannys, thats a low, 2 reverse speeds, and a few overdrive gears, so most arnt in the lowend. and modern trucks dont need to double clutch while downshifting. i work for a dump truck buisness, and ocasionaly ride with him. he has a cummins 444xt, witch has 444hp and somewhere around 1800ftlb torque. he has a 15 speed and never double clutches. they use the clutch for starting, stoping. puting the pto gear in, shifting the rearends, locking the rearends, and when the trannys cold. thats about it on his truck anyway.
ORIGINAL: Bumsdeclaf

double clutching is an old technique that was done back in the very old days when transmissions had no syncros or very stupid ones. most of our cars have a T-5 or T-45 and on these, its pointless. technology has advanced so much that it makes it a waste of time. syncros these days are just that good. what paco_pony discribed sounded more like a cross between heel and toe downshifting and doubleclutching. Heel and toe downshifting is pretty much accelerating and pushing the brakes while the clutch is down at the same time to keep the engine in high RPM's so that the engine is not forced into high RPM's by compression braking. BTW, Trucks usually have 18 gears, most are in the lowend, and they must double clutch because they have sooo much torque that they would tare the syncro's apart