5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

can runs 195 in traffic, headers too hot???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 07:57 PM
ckyguy68
5th Gear Member

Default RE: can runs 195 in traffic, headers too hot???

nice

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

ive got headers but a 160 thermastat so my car never reads hotter than 180....except for when i was doing donuts and blew my back tires off my car read 225
Old 06-30-2006, 08:06 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

yeah it was fun got my back tires shipped 145 and i put them on and balanced them myself since i work in a garage. ill probably never push my car like that again i felt bad for my car like i punished her
ORIGINAL: ckyguy68

nice

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

ive got headers but a 160 thermastat so my car never reads hotter than 180....except for when i was doing donuts and blew my back tires off my car read 225
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

195 is good.

you gotta remember if you're running a 50/50 mix of coolant and water, the boiling point of the mixture will increase. water boils at 212*F, with the coolant in there its going to be more like 225. and then your radiator cap pressurizes the system, which will increase it a little more, i think like 2 degrees for every psi of pressure.

unless your car is getting over 210*F, i wouldnt worry about it. My buick sets at about 195 - 205, so I'd say you're probably ok.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I was wondering the same, and am relieved that 195 isnt too hot.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:40 AM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

Hey

guys thanks alot for replying with all that info.

I recelently had my heater coke break and leak, I had abunch of coolant all over inside my car that leaked out from the heater core. I've plugged the hoses and stuff and just refilled my radiator with water and also put in a new,but cheap, autozone overflow reservoir...maybe I did something wrong in there or thats where I might of caught air from?

And can someone teach me step by step how to "burp" my cooling system? I'd really appreciate it

Thanks alot guys!!! Oh and btw- my car used to run about 180 before with the fans on all of the time- and is changing to a lower temperature thermostat a good idea? I think i've got a 200 degree on there right now.....cause thats when my fans turn on by themselves when it reaches 200 degrees.... but I've got a hand switch so I turn them on much sooner than that...

Thanks guys

Ben
Old 07-02-2006, 05:42 AM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

Oh and about the headers.... I feel most of the heat in my car coming from there- thats why I was saying if that maybe has something to do, its hella hot in there..... I thought that if I got shorty's I'd save up on heat since they are straighter than equal length, which are basically bundled up together to keep that equal length...

Thanks again

Ben
Old 07-02-2006, 05:45 AM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, do you have any other mods done?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:04 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Burbing the system is easy. I ususally fill the radiator until it's 4-5 inches from the top. Start it and let it run. Once the stat opens you will see the coolant start to flow and circulate through the radiator. Now start filling it, cap it and you're done.

As far as the headers getting hot, that's what they do. Unless they are glowing red the temp of them is normal.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

first adding the equal length headers will increase under hood temps due to more piping to hold heat....driving at realy low rpm like in lugging the engine will also increase temps..also too much timing will due this as well..their are many ways to lower temp

1. adding aleast a 3 core rad
2. do not paint,polish or power coat any aluminum engine parts
3. don't use chrome parts
4. sythedic oils
5. high grade gas for more even flame and will eleminate hot spots
6. use a flex fan
7. if you have a stock fan check the clutch
8. rap the exhaust but not the headers this will lower temps a lil and will give you a few horsepower by speeding up the exhaust gas hence clearing out the exhaust chambers in the heads better
9. use a bottle of redline water wetting
10. using a cowl type hood to increase clearance for more movement of cooler air under the hood
11 use a mr. gasket 180 stat as the offic is larger to increase water flow and has a small hole so you won't have to brup the ststem
12. aluminum heads will drop the temp 10 degrees

you get the idea
Old 07-03-2006, 05:27 AM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

Hey guys,

I see more replies, thanks again for them. I forgot to answer a few questions last night- I have a auto meter water temperature gauge, and I don't think I mentioned that when I drive the car faster it goes up in temperature....

The modes to my car are:

1991 Mustang GT Hatchback

Mac Cold air intake
TrickFlow Street Intake Manifold
65mm throttle body
73mm mass air meter
E303 cam
Svo 1.6 ratio roller rocker arms
BBK 1 5/8 headers
2 ½ H-pipe
Dual Chamber Flow masters
3.55 gears
Hurst shifter
Center Force Dual friction clutch
Billet aluminum firewall adjuster
24 pound injectors
4 core radiator
Dual electric fans
Fuel pressure regulator
Eibach pro lowering springs
Crossdrilled and slotted front rotors
Steel braided brake lines

These are just some- I recently had an issue with my distributor and I had to get it fixed, when it got fixed, the guy set the timing at 25, I get about 35% fuel pressure with the car on and I think it goes up a little with throttle open....

Can you guys tell me if maybe this is my problem? If maybe the timing is too high and the fuel pressure too low or too high also with the modes that i'm running- could that be causing my car to run hot?....I mean if I drive just about 3000 rpm the tempeture goes up to like to about 200 with dual electric fans on and the 4 core radiator- stock water pump though....

I've also noticed that since the timing was changed the car also heats up alot faster when i turn it on and let it idle for a bit for the car to warm up....

What do you guys think the timing setting and fuel pressure should be? --- I feel like my car kind of lags when I try to rev it fast on 1 2 and even third.... I wonder if all of this is related =\

Man you're just never done with these things....

Thanks alot again guys

ben

Quick Reply: can runs 195 in traffic, headers too hot???