5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:17 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

I have a 93 GT w/ AOD in it. Car ran fine before, but The original was slipping bad, so...

Installed a replacement AOD today that I got from Prestige Mustang. I got a new torque converter from Advance Auto for a 91 GT since they saw my car has a AOD-E in it... Got it in there, got everything bolted back up. put in the tranny fluid, got the starter bolted back up, go to start it up and Click (and not the click you get when your battery is dead). You can hear the starter engage, and you can see the serpentine belt move about a quarter inch each time you try cranking it. So we try to move the engine with the breaker bar and it wont budge.... now keep in mind that the car ran fine prior to installing the transmission and torque converter. So does anybody know what could be causing this? Its a real pain in the **** to put the trans in and take it out again, so we want to get it right this time. Thanks in advance.

-- ojm
Old 07-01-2006, 11:27 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

Something could be locked up or the starter might not be close enough to the flex plate to engage it all the way.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

You could also have something jammed. Can you put a breaker bar w/ a socket on the crank bolt and rotate it by hand? If not, that's the problem. You'll have to figure out what's jammed.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:49 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

From the original message:
"So we try to move the engine with the breaker bar and it wont budge.... "

Nope didnt work :-)
Old 07-01-2006, 11:54 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

From the original message:
"So we try to move the engine with the breaker bar and it wont budge.... "

Nope didnt work :-)
Sorry, missed that part. Looks like you'll be taking it back apart to find the problem. Sorry dude!!
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

any idea what it might be? I dont wanna go on a fishing expedition...
Old 07-02-2006, 12:01 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

any idea what it might be? I dont wanna go on a fishing expedition...
Is the torque converter interchangable between those years? If you put the trans in neutral, can you rotate the driveshaft? Did you change the flexplate or reuse the old one? Did you notice anything odd going back together?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:07 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

im not sure if the TC is interchangable between those years because autozone & advance auto parts both say it uses a AOD-E and i know for a fact that its an AOD. I didnt change the flexplate cause there didnt appear to be any cracks or warpage in the other. I know I probably should have but i didnt and i dont really think the f.p. is the problem.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:14 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Any chance you sat the converters side by side to compare? Also, can you rotate the d/s w/ the trans in neutral?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 AM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

well since this tranny is causing u problems.......can i have it? lol jk

Quick Reply: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over