5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Default Polishing?

Anybody here know how to polish aluminum. Any tip or tricks or even websites will be helpfull thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Polishing?

Sand down the surface with some 600 grit sandpaper (lower # is it's a rougher surface) and then take some Mothers Aluminum polish and an old TShirt.

That's the best and only way I've ever done it.

Great luck to you,
Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 03:15 PM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the mothers, good stuff.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

I would personally never use sandpaper on a porous and delicate metal such as aluminum, use a buffing wheel and your compund of choice to dress the wheel, the first compund you will use cuts the alminum, then switch to a rouge and polish. A finish like this? Check with http://www.caswellplating.com/ for all your needs

Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

They also make a newer Billet polish.

That's the Shizzle to use AFTER you got that thing looking nice. Apply it and it makes it cleaner.

-Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 03:35 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses, I will try it out.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myshifter

I would personally never use sandpaper on a porous and delicate metal such as aluminum, use a buffing wheel and your compund of choice to dress the wheel, the first compund you will use cuts the alminum, then switch to a rouge and polish. A finish like this? Check with http://www.caswellplating.com/ for all your needs

I'll give you credit on that one....and I agree. If it's Joe Backyard doing it though, then sandpaper is the only way to get it down to a smooth starting point prior to polishing.

Wouldn't you say?

Most people don't know alot about "buffing" or "compounds" so they resort to what they have or can readily get.

If they were looking for professional results then sure, you got the right answer there.

-Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 03:56 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

heres the cheapest way you can do it, and I mean cheap. Got a bench grinder? If not well then **** how do ya work on anything. Ok so you do have one, go to menards, ace hardware, home depot, grab a 6 or 8 inch buffing wheel, 4 bucks MAX, then skip over and buy the 5 pack of polishing compounds (at menards), 9.99 and you can polish and it will turn out with a mirror finish that you could brush your teeth in. Never use 2 different compunds on the same buffing wheel.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myshifter

heres the cheapest way you can do it, and I mean cheap. Got a bench grinder? If not well then **** how do ya work on anything. Ok so you do have one, go to menards, ace hardware, home depot, grab a 6 or 8 inch buffing wheel, 4 bucks MAX, then skip over and buy the 5 pack of polishing compounds (at menards), 9.99 and you can polish and it will turn out with a mirror finish that you could brush your teeth in. Never use 2 different compunds on the same buffing wheel.

"5 pack of polishing compunds"

We dont' have Menards out West. Could you tell me a little more about what comes in the "5 pack" that I should look for when I would do to HD?? I'm assuming that there are different compounds in them right??

Thanks for clearing it up for us..
-Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 04:04 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ya it will come with different compunds for polishing fine metals, hard metals, brass and so forth. Home depot sells them individually. I dress one half of the wheel with the compund, you then cut the metal with that side, then use the other dry side for polishing it, take cotton cloth and wipe any excess off, will come out like a mirror

Quick Reply: Polishing?