5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

kandy paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: kandy paint

Hell yeah, its ALOT of trail and error no matter how much you read you need practise to get things perfect, nothing is impossible but it does take loads of time and patience I have spent about 60+ hours stripping, sanblasting, fillinf, sanding and primering. Its insane how much time it takes. As for cost so far with all paper and primer I am at 650 Canadian for all PPG products. Paint and clear will be about that much as well.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:15 AM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

hell of alot cheaper htan going ot get it spreayed somewhere else though,,,, ive always wanted to learn and i have done the process of stripping and sanding and primer soo now its jsut learning the painting tecnique
Old 07-06-2006, 05:56 AM
beachy90lx
1st Gear Member

man that paint looks really good. makes me want to save the money to get my stang painted.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

mine is going to be at the 200dollar range since i got th ehok stuff for free. as for painting the jambs its really choice but most people do them first. my boss always does the door jambs last on his kandy jobs. it will take a 2-3 day normally to prep a car depending on the body work needed. its not that hard of a project it just takes alot of patience and practice . what kinda of gun do u have? and air compressor and filter for the compressor so it doesnt get contaminents through the air supply
Old 07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

yes make sure you have a good water separator..that screwed my friend over when we painted his LX we had to redo the whole front end
Old 07-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

mine is going to be at the 200dollar range since i got th ehok stuff for free. as for painting the jambs its really choice but most people do them first. my boss always does the door jambs last on his kandy jobs. it will take a 2-3 day normally to prep a car depending on the body work needed. its not that hard of a project it just takes alot of patience and practice . what kinda of gun do u have? and air compressor and filter for the compressor so it doesnt get contaminents through the air supply
I got some old skool Sharp gun that my Pops gave to me...I would really like to get something more updated but this one shoots great and I don't ever have any problems using it. It's running off of a Craftsman 2 stage Vertical 60Gal with a DeVillBiss Air/H2O Separator and dryer setup that came off my Pops' booth setup. Again, it's old as crap but it works good so...?..

I would really like to get a new HVLP gun but haven't really been in the "loop" when it comes to new ways of doing things.

That's my story. Any advice on a new gun? Also, you shooting around 40psi or no?? I know alot of guys are shooting lower...

-Ivan
Old 07-06-2006, 03:24 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

I have a Mechanics Products HVLP gun with a 1.5 tip cost me about 200 bones. I have a 60 Gal vertical compressor as of right now with no water separator. I crack the lines and let the compressor fill up about 3-4 times before I shot all the primers and have had 0 water come through the lines so far. Are they needed for the base/clear?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Basecoat/Clearcoat would be a 2 stage paint.

You can get single stage paints that are just as nice, but one of the downfalls is that you can't buff it out/colorsand it as much as you would be able to a 2 stage. 2 stage paint jobs are alot more because you can really work the paint surface down to a mirror and the same thing for the clearcoat.

The single stage paints can be less expensive though.

-Ivan
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

i love kandy's
Old 07-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

rmodel...quit working and reply to my post dammit!!

Just kidding..

TTYL,
Ivan

Quick Reply: kandy paint