5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best gauges ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Default Best gauges ?

Hi I'm in the process of ordering some autometer gauges for my car, right now I'm getting the oil pressure and the water temp. I am thinking about 3rd one becuase I think I will go with the A-pillar 3 pod. Any suggestion for third? I am leaning toward air/fuel ratio. Also you can see the mods I have and if anything In next year or so I will go with h/c/i , and thats about it.
Also what the difference and what's better mechanical or electrical...which is harder to install and which is more acurate. By the pricing sounds like electrical they seem to be twice the price as mechanical. Also can I get 2 of them mechanical and 1 electrical?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:47 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best gauges ?

Any one??????
Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Get an amp gauge or the a/f one. If you wanna' spend the bucks get an electric f/p gauge.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:52 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Mechanical guages are fine...They're alot cheaper and they still work so I don't really see any logic in spending the extra money. Also, I would get amps, oil pressure, and a/f.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

mechanicals are better for water temp and oil pressure. they will actually send oil and coolant to the gauges to tell you what the pressure is, unlike the electric ones. the electric water temp guage is a thermister, as heat rises, the resistance lowers or some crap like that, and it converts it to a temp on the guage. get mechanicals.

for the 3rd guage, a/f ratio would be alright, or trans temp. that way you can know how hot your trans is and everything.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

PRO50SC to the rescue.....LOL. Thanks for the input...should I stick with the mechanical ones or electric ones are better (since price is more). Also should I get the copper tubing if I go with the mechanical. Is the copper tubing meant for the water temp as well or just the oil pressure?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:55 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Wooowhoo...just hit 2nd gear member with last post...LOL. Sorry to the other guys when I typed my reply to PRO50SC your replies weren't in yet.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:59 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I wouldn't use a mechanical gauge. Not risking a broken line inside the car and it does happen. I've had all electric for 3 years now w/o any problems.

Oh and congrats on the second gear.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Even with copper tubing? Hmmm...something I will definetly consider now. I don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks on the electric ones but I thought from reading previous post etc. that everone says to go mechanical. I guess I should consider is that it gets pretty cold here in the winter so when I park my car (don't have garage to keep it warm) it might have chance to crack water temp line.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:10 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: titanium92

Even with copper tubing? Hmmm...something I will definetly consider now. I don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks on the electric ones but I thought from reading previous post etc. that everone says to go mechanical. I guess I should consider is that it gets pretty cold here in the winter so when I park my car (don't have garage to keep it warm) it might have chance to crack water temp line.
In the end, it's your car. Buy what you want. Opinions are just that. Just be happy with what you choose.

Quick Reply: Best gauges ?