5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Body Shops - Are They Nuts?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Body Shops - Are They Nuts?!?

Do it yourself dude! I am doing mine now from the ground up and its tedous but rewarding work I will help you as much as I can. All the paint and supplies to do it yourself will cost ya like 600-900 bucks TOPS.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

my best friend's dad owns a body/resoration shop, and thats a pretty fair price...he told me it would be at least a grand to paint my car just for materials alone, and we're going to do all the work ourself(he's doing it all for free with my help and he's the BEST around, aint i lucky?) but if you think the existing paint on your car will be close enough then just figure out what paint you need and bring it to have it sprayed, or just hang some plastic in your garage and paint it yourself. you can rent a compressor and paint gun pretty cheap if you want to go that route. it probably wont look very good if you dont know what you're doing, but it will be cheap

Old 07-10-2006, 11:09 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I had a quote to paint my hood and bumper, figured 300 for my hood and 175 for my bumper(the painter is good, but is happy if he can buy beer when he is done) That was without blending. Besides, with the paint mixing technology, you can match a fade almost dead on. Suggestion for you if you feel daring, take your gas fill door off, take it to a good paint supply store and have it scanned and matched, buy your own paint, and get a gun and do it yourselfif you have a compresser. You will learn something and save money...maybe
Old 07-10-2006, 11:13 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

maybe
the odds are heavily against the first time painter, why do people think its so easy?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
klapdout
1st Gear Member

don't try it yourself especially sence you didnt already know how much work is involved
it'll never turn out good if you don't have an experienced body man to help you, i'll tell you that right now i don't know one person who has ever color sanded well there first time, or buffed either let alone not get any runs/fix any you do get, yea red paint is expensive especially ppg which you'll want to use
you'll probably spend more than 1500 anyway, 300 air compressor, 400-500 paintgun, 300-500 paint/primer/reducer/clear/hardner, 400-500 misc other supplys like grease/wax remover sand paper scuff pads lacour thinner ect...

just spend the money on a professional, you'll be glad you did

Old 07-10-2006, 11:53 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

well, he obviously wouldnt go out and buy a compressor and paint gun just to do that...he would rent or borrow i'm sure.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:57 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

thats actually not a bad price for quality work

if u wanna save money and dont give a crap bring it to maaco

personaly i would just drive around with the miscolored body panels untill the car needed paint.

from ur sig pic alone i can tell that bumper is really faded
Old 07-11-2006, 12:23 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myshifter

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

maybe
the odds are heavily against the first time painter, why do people think its so easy?

Never said it was easy, I said it could be a learning experience.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

^^ i envy ur LX

gunna make mine look like that except i like colored moldings and green more than that blue
Old 07-11-2006, 01:00 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I know that its not easy. The price for the paint and the labor for spraying is fine. I just dont understand why they want to charge me almost $700 for body work on BRAND NEW parts..... it just doesent make any sense. Yes, he might have to prep the hood a little bit and prep the front bumper but thats definetly not worth seven hundred dollars.... follow me? I just think thats off a little bit.

And I know how hard it is the paint, etc. Why the hell do you think I wont do it myself. And YES I do have a nice compressor and a decent paint gun.

Quick Reply: Body Shops - Are They Nuts?!?