5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

Default Need Help!

I'm lost on this... The problem is when i turn my headlights on, the dash lights wont come on and neither will my back lights or my parking lights... I know there is a fuse that controls the dash lights which i have replaced a million times cus he keeps blowing out. I can get everything to work if i wiggle the headlight switch around and get it to stay on in a certain spot where everything works fine... for now until the fuse blows out again. I thought the problem might be my headlight switch, but i put a new one in and it didnt fix it and i couldnt wiggle the new one in the certain spot that made everything work so i had to put the old one back in... I just dont know what to do now to figure this out. I dont want it to stop working all together, then i cant drive at night at all and replacing fuses every couple weeks is annoying... Please help!
Old 07-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Jaggezz
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Need Help!

Somethings obviously overloading the circuit which is blowing the fuse. Try checking all your relays. Maybe there's a bad ground or something. I don't know. I hate electronics.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

yea i hate electronics too... I thought maybe there would be someone on here that knows about electrical problems, otherwise im lost. a wiring diagram would help me trace the wires to see if i can find something... does anyone know where i can get one
Old 07-14-2006, 12:15 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help... i guess no one knows anything about electrical problems!?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:17 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Have you checked the dimmer switch. Find out what else is on the cicuit if anything.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:30 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

the dimmer switch works, it dims the lights and turns the interior light on like usual... i cant find anything else on the same fuse as the dash lights... everything else works fine. im lost
Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 AM
will
2nd Gear Member

Write down everything that works on that circuit, check your cig. lighter also. Remove the fuse, find the output side of the fuse holder(the side with no power) attach an ohm meter lead to the non powered side and the other lead to ground. Record value then start unplugging everything on that circuit 1 at a time while checking continuity to ground. When the continuity goes to open or inf you found the the prob. If you still have continuity to ground then you have a short to ground on the actual circuit. Pinched wire or green S*it formed by broken insulation... HAVE FUN