5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How pissed would you be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:14 AM
LX 5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default How pissed would you be?

I have owned my lx 5.0 mint condition 66,000 original miles for a 1.5 years unregistered. I primarly moved to Germany to register my car because the tax is insane in Denmark and I couldn't get the car to pass inspection because there was to much o2 comming out of the exhasust. I spent money and time and replaced parts that didn't need to be replaced. I never solved the problem. So I said **** it and baught a BMV practical car to own if you live in Germany and now awile later I am finally moving back to USA were I was born and Grew up nearly 19 years. My bill of sale is a different name that what is on my title last when the car was last registered in 1993!! USA customs won't except that... And now it looks like I am screwed and am forced to sell my car that I have worked hard for and doubt I can replace. I am so god dam mad I can't decribe it.... I am 23 and had dreamed of owning a 5.0 since high school. How would you feel?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Ryan5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How pissed would you be?

I know you have been having this issue for a while. To answer your question, EXTREMELY pissed. You obviously love your car and I hate that you are having so many problems with USA Customs. So you have the title, and it is signed over to someone else. You have a Bill of Sale signed by said person to whom the title was signed to correct? If so, that is a tough one to get around. Any chance of using the internet to possibly locate whoever the car is titled to? Or the person that you bought it from(he will need to title the car to himself 1st)--either person can sign the car over to you. You can title a car without registering it in the states--not sure about Europe.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Dude, I know of people who can help you out. There are guys that I've used in the past to help retitle cars that I or others have lost the title on prior to my purchase.

I'm in the middle of getting a title for another LX 5.0 now from him. He does a bunch of stuff here in NM for me (NCIC's, VIN Inspections, etc..) but maybe he can help direct you in the right place if he cannot help you himself. I've known the guy for like 7 years. He's never done me wrong and I give his info out to others all the time. I guess he is some kind of retired Police Officer or FBI guy. He never answers me directly when I ask him.

Try it out and let me know if you need more help. Let him know who gave you his number if you call him.

Mr. Robert Hunter
505-344-7894

Great luck to you - I hope something works out for you,
Ivan Price
Old 07-13-2006, 05:15 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

yeah, try calling the state you're moving back to's DMV.
tell them your story. ask how to "re-title" the car since
it was exported and lost.

You should be able to get a new title issued from either the state you're
moving too or the last state it was registered in.

I import mobile truckcranes from Germany all the time, and they have no titles
and my customers get their different states to issue titles to them all the time.
Since your car is a re-import i dont know how that would work, but you should
be able to get new title somehow
Old 07-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

yeah, try calling the state you're moving back to's DMV.
tell them your story. ask how to "re-title" the car since
it was exported and lost.

You should be able to get a new title issued from either the state you're
moving too or the last state it was registered in.

I import mobile truckcranes from Germany all the time, and they have no titles
and my customers get their different states to issue titles to them all the time.
Since your car is a re-import i dont know how that would work, but you should
be able to get new title somehow
+1

I failed to mention that most guys that offer the service may only be certified to do so in their homestate. I think my friend could still help you, but it may be worth attempting to call your Homestate DMV.

Good idea R!,
Ivan
Old 07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
347Stroker Cougar
2nd Gear Member

Go to the Dmv and and tell them you bought the car with no title and you need to pick up a new one, they'll inspect you're car and then charge you 100$ for the new title.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 347Stroker Cougar

Go to the Dmv and and tell them you bought the car with no title and you need to pick up a new one, they'll inspect you're car and then charge you 100$ for the new title.
Again, if it were only that easy. Some states may be different than others but let me tell you what takes place in this state, California, Virginia and Florida.

If you are attempting to get a title for a car:
You have to get a Certified VIN Inspector to come out to the car and verify in at least two places concurrent/matching numbers
You have to run a National Criminal Invetigative Commitee (NCIC) background search on the VIN of the car to verify that it is not stolen
You have to run a DMV registered owner listing (again, by a certified person - usually the VIN Inspector has to do it for you.)
Once you have the list of who the last registered owner was, you must send them a Certified Registered Return Receipt letter stating your intentions with the mentioned vehicle. If there is a lien on the car still, you must write them a letter (CRRR again) as well.
Once the letters receipts come back, hopefully with no injunctions or anyone stating that the car was never sold to anyone or that it was mysteriously stolen yesterday from their backyard, you must file a Surety Bond for twice the assessed value of the car. Again, the VIN inspector (who's already made about $200 off you for his abovementioned services rendered) can get the bond for you. You will pay half of the amount of the bond.

Once you get the bond from the guy, you take all your receipts, letters that were returned, paperwork, and bond and haul *** to your local DMV.

In all you spend about $300-500 in services and countless hours of time tracking down info.

But, hey, maybe in another state you just pretend to lose the title and pay the DMV $100. Let me know where you reside so that I can start doing the same and make some money!!!

-Ivan