5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88 GT fuel Filter-easy to change???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 88 GT fuel Filter-easy to change???

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

ORIGINAL: Hawk

Who cares about the looks, are you really gonna crawl under the car and keep it clean? In terms of a performance difference, no idea. I went with a $9 FRAM fuel filter and the car runs fine.
Actually I do... Im cleaning my undercarriage today
Go get a job!! You bored Soul!!

-Ivan
Old 07-13-2006, 05:32 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

ok all you guy's...since you don't have any safety morals....1)disconnect the innertia switch(inside panel d/s in the back 2)start engine till it wont 3) pull the freak'n neg. cable off!....there will be no messes/no buckets just a clean safe procedure..of r/r....i do it every oil change.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:42 PM
jody

I changed mine just this past weekend on my 87 GT, very easy job. Definitely an average joe job. Spend the rest of your $80 on gas cruisin around I think my filter was 12.99 (a Fram) at Wal-Mart.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

ok all you guy's...since you don't have any safety morals....1)disconnect the innertia switch(inside panel d/s in the back 2)start engine till it wont 3) pull the freak'n neg. cable off!....there will be no messes/no buckets just a clean safe procedure..of r/r....i do it every oil change.

+1

Uh, yeah what he said....None of my techs ever disconnect the Fuel Pump Cut off nor attempt to start it until it won't. Yes, maybe one in 10 thousand you might have to some other things to it to get it out the door, but for the most part, these are safety issues and should be adhered to.

I just wanted to state what really take place behind closed doors where I worked.

-Ivan
Old 07-13-2006, 05:55 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

alot of gamblers out there...if they think there odds are good...then so be it...when gas splashes in your face slip up with a scewdriver,and create the right amount of oxygen/fuel/spark...
Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

You gotta figure most techs were prolly around doing this stuff since I was watching GI Joe on TV. Hell yes, I agree with you on the safety aspects of soing the job. I'd agree that they should def be considered by the novice hobbyist as well. I'm saying that when I walk out to the shop that's not how it's going down. Think about how most techs work, it's all work that's booked out. If they can find a way to shortcut it, they will. Ford says 1.4 hours on a 88 GT Fuel Filter Replacement Service. I guarantee that 90% of the Ford Techs across the country can probably do about 10 of these in that time if they do it their way.

I agree with you brother! Not even trying to flame. I just tell it like it is.

-Ivan
Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bad Karma

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

ORIGINAL: Hawk

Who cares about the looks, are you really gonna crawl under the car and keep it clean? In terms of a performance difference, no idea. I went with a $9 FRAM fuel filter and the car runs fine.
Actually I do... Im cleaning my undercarriage today
Go get a job!! You bored Soul!!

-Ivan
HaH Yea right! I work too much! LoL I just like a clean car.... thats all
Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i know too well also...worked in motor pool for 5yrs...hell iv'e done some stupid stuff...after i got done i thought back...boy that was stupid.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

i know too well also...worked in motor pool for 5yrs...hell iv'e done some stupid stuff...after i got done i thought back...boy that was stupid.
It's like they say, it's all fun and games until someone get's hurt.

I remember being an E nothing on Med Cruise and taking a ball peen hammer to a Mechanical Fuze in a live 500lb Bomb in a magaazine with around 600 other live bombs.

I always think to myself, why didn't it go off like it COULD have? I alone could have been personally responsible for killing 6000 people and taking out the USS George Washington Air Craft Carrier.

So, yeah, I've done enough stupid stuff to learn not to do it again too,
Ivan
Old 07-13-2006, 06:15 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ I think that would qualify Thats some crazy *** sh*t! haha

Quick Reply: 88 GT fuel Filter-easy to change???