5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

which would you pick??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Default which would you pick??

Welp, me and my buddy from this site were talking about which is better and wat not. I originally wanted an SC because of the infamous whine (godddd, hits the spot everytime I heard it!!!! Especially from this lightning that lives around here) but after looking at prices and wat not, it seems to be that the turbo is cheaper, and equips your ride with more horses. Ha the only thing is about being careful how many horses you stack on the 302 block! So I have 2 questions based strictly on performance, if you had the same amount to invest in a turbo or supercharger which one would you get?? And if you don't mind, a brief explanation would be helpful. And second, wats a safe horsepower range to stay inbetween without having a huge hazard/risk of cracking the block??

Usually I get some nice/helpful responses so can't wait to see how this thread turns out, thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 PM
duslep
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: which would you pick??

ORIGINAL: BascoSauce

Welp, me and my buddy from this site were talking about which is better and wat not. I originally wanted an SC because of the infamous whine (godddd, hits the spot everytime I heard it!!!! Especially from this lightning that lives around here) but after looking at prices and wat not, it seems to be that the turbo is cheaper, and equips your ride with more horses. Ha the only thing is about being careful how many horses you stack on the 302 block! So I have 2 questions based strictly on performance, if you had the same amount to invest in a turbo or supercharger which one would you get?? And if you don't mind, a brief explanation would be helpful. And second, wats a safe horsepower range to stay inbetween without having a huge hazard/risk of cracking the block??

Usually I get some nice/helpful responses so can't wait to see how this thread turns out, thanks in advance!
Turbo kits are definately not cheaper, but you can get alot of HP out of them
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

you must be seeing the prices for JUST a turbo then, but you need a lot more than just that to be able to run one. you gotta have a whole kit --- the turbo kits are generally more expensive than supercharger kits, but that's just what i've seen from lookin around. maybe you got better eyes than me.

you CAN do a "do it yourself" setup and save LOTS of money, but its quite a bit more hassle.

i vote turbo tho, turbo all the way
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 PM
duslep
3rd Gear Member

i vote turbo tho, turbo all the way
[/quote]
+1
Old 07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Ohhh my bad, ur right I just checked the prices, I read it wrong...so ya kno wat disregaurd that comment I made.

But please continue on I'm anxious to see wat the stang community has to say!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

turbo is awesome, but a SC is gonna be cheaper
Old 07-19-2006, 10:58 PM
duslep
3rd Gear Member

SC are cheaper but depending on what you want to do performance wise and how much boost you eventually want to run, will determine which one you need to get.
ORIGINAL: marx91

turbo is awesome, but a SC is gonna be cheaper
Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Turbo gets my vote

10psi turbo kit cost about $5k.
10psi s/c will run you about $3-4,000

stock block is good to about 450rwhp or what a 10psi turbo on a lightly modded engine will put out.

Careful with what turbo you order. most companies have AWFUL customer
service and 6-9month delivery. Hellion is only kit to even consider due to having them in stock
and will add 200rwhp to stock engine.

If you can fab up your own exhaust system you can buy turbo headers and intercooler
and everything seperate and do it for about $3k in parts.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 PM
duslep
3rd Gear Member

I totally agree
ORIGINAL: r.barn

Turbo gets my vote

10psi turbo kit cost about $5k.
10psi s/c will run you about $3-4,000

stock block is good to about 450rwhp or what a 10psi turbo on a lightly modded engine will put out.

Careful with what turbo you order. most companies have AWFUL customer
service and 6-9month delivery. Hellion is only kit to even consider due to having them in stock
and will add 200rwhp to stock engine.

If you can fab up your own exhaust system you can buy turbo headers and intercooler
and everything seperate and do it for about $3k in parts.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:11 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

id go with a Kenne Bell SC (2.2L) they will run you about $3500 for the entire kit everything you need. and they are a twin screw that goes ontop of ur motor like the ones on newer cobras. check it out http://kennebell.net/superchargers/f...-flowzilla.htm this is what i would go with personally. read all about them on the site its pretty interesting.

and ive heard from alot of ppl on this site that the stock block can hold about up to 500hp

Quick Reply: which would you pick??