5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

starter goes clicky but no starty...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 PM
marr_ta

Default starter goes clicky but no starty...

I cant figure out wtf is going on with my car... I try to start it and all I hear is one click. I just put a new solenoid on it and I get the same thing. The thing that gets me is when I short the 2 terminals with a screw driver I get no sparks or nothing. Here's some background on the issue... The car hasnt been driven in a few years but I decided to get her running again. I cleaned the iac motor last night and she was running ok but my voltage would drop big time when I used any 12V stuff in the car. I tried to start it this afternoon and that is when it wouldnt start and only click. The battery was about 4 years old and was having to be jumped or charged to get it started if not run for a week or so so I bought a new one today. I made sure it had a good charge and the problem persisted. That is when I bought the new solenoid... So any ideas?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:13 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: starter goes clicky but no starty...

sounds like weak battery, sorry saw you got a new one.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 PM
marr_ta

it does but the lights and everything else work great with no dimming. I even charged the battery even though it was suppose to be fully charged when I bought it.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:17 PM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

starter probly went bad, that would explain no sparks when jumping the terminals too. could try the old school starter repair trick, lol. crawl under the car and whack the starter with a hammer a few times, then try to start it again. sometimes if its a dead spot in the armature, this will get you home. but the starter will still need to be replaced.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 PM
marr_ta

I would think it would spark but I trust ya man... I will get a new starter tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 PM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

well if its a dead spot there would be no load on that wire, it would be like having the wire hooked to nothing on the other end.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:32 PM
marr_ta

makes sense now that you say that. I wonder whats gonna break next
Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ya its the solinoid on the starter not the one one the fender. that click was from the one on the fender. so ya just get a new started and you should be straight. unless you feel like beating your starter with a hammer cuz thats what i did on my truck and it aorked for annother month lol
Old 07-20-2006, 12:10 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

yeah just try that trick with hitting the starter before you got out and buy a new one just to make sure...im pretty sure you can see the starter through the headers/exhaust manifold depending on what you got anyway get a long breaker bar and have someone sit in the car and turn the key when they turn it give it a couple smacks should turn over
Old 07-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

When you bench tested it di you bypass the solenoid? We did that to ours and it worked. Had to replaced the solenoid. If it doesnt work then the starter is shot.

Quick Reply: starter goes clicky but no starty...