5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So I'm the only one...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: So I'm the only one...

I have some trouble getting into to reverse sometimes, and it seems every time I go from 5th to 4th I have to jiggle the shifter a little. I just installed a Hurst competition plus shifter this morning, maybe it'll help. But I think switching to Redline MTL is going to be the fix. I've had that stuff cure some similar issues in BMW's before.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Synchros. Period. Double clutching allows the synchs to catch up. Fluid irrelevant.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:13 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Well I've never had it with 1st gear, its always been reverse for me. If your having to put it into say reverse to get it into 1st at a stop then I would have to say your syncros are going. The only reason its hard for a T5 to go in reverse is because reverse doesnt have syncros, therefore putting it in say 5th right before you go back to reverse stops the movement of the gears and lines up the teeth for you or at least get them close enough to get it in gear.
I would change the fluid in your tranny and hope for the best, or just live with it till 1st gear has no more syncros.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 50mikey

Well I've never had it with 1st gear, its always been reverse for me. If your having to put it into say reverse to get it into 1st at a stop then I would have to say your syncros are going. The only reason its hard for a T5 to go in reverse is because reverse doesnt have syncros, therefore putting it in say 5th right before you go back to reverse stops the movement of the gears and lines up the teeth for you or at least get them close enough to get it in gear.
I would change the fluid in your tranny and hope for the best, or just live with it till 1st gear has no more syncros.
Thanks Mikey. It doesn't seem to help to put it into another gear first. The only thing that works is to let up the clutch, and then try again. It always falls right into gear after doing this. So you think it's synchros, huh? It never grinds...it's just hard to get into gear one out of every, say, 30 times. And like I said, all of this cropped up after changing my tranny fluid--same with my old Acura.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

Well if its one out of aprox. 30 times then maybe one out of aprox. 30 times your just not pushing the clutch in far enough.
I know at least once a week I do that, usually 3rd when Im just puttin around I'll go to put it in third, not push hard enough and it ends up between the syncros and the gear, so I just let off on the clutch, re-engage the clutch and it slides right in like butter.

Then again I know for a fact that my syncros in third are going...actually my whole tranny is close to seeing the bright light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Another thing, it doesn't just happen with first. It happens with whatever gear I try to put it in from a standstill. If I'm just sitting, and try to put it in second or third, I still feel the same occasional resistance. Although, I don't do this very often. That makes me think it's not synchros.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Well if its one out of aprox. 30 times then maybe one out of aprox. 30 times your just not pushing the clutch in far enough.
I know at least once a week I do that, usually 3rd when Im just puttin around I'll go to put it in third, not push hard enough and it ends up between the syncros and the gear, so I just let off on the clutch, re-engage the clutch and it slides right in like butter.
Thanks Mikey. The thing is, it does it even when I'm mashing the clutch through the floorpan. Also, even when it doesn't lock me out of first, I often feel a certain notchiness when putting it in first--or whatever gear I try to put it in from a standstill. I feel this notchiness once out of every, say, five shifts. Is it possible that there is something wrong with my shifter? I ask because the shifter does not return to the center position in neutral. It's like the spring that centers the shifter in neutral is weak.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:33 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

do you have floormats that might be getting in the way of the pedal? Can you adjust your clutch just a little more?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:35 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Thanks Mikey. The thing is, it does it even when I'm mashing the clutch through the floorpan. Also, even when it doesn't lock me out of first, I often feel a certain <b>notchiness</B> when putting it in first. I feel this notchiness once out of every, say, five shifts.
Notchiness I believe is a traight of the T5, mine feels like every day, every shift, unless I double pump the clutch.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

Thanks Mikey. The thing is, it does it even when I'm mashing the clutch through the floorpan. Also, even when it doesn't lock me out of first, I often feel a certain <b>notchiness</B> when putting it in first. I feel this notchiness once out of every, say, five shifts.
Notchiness I believe is a traight of the T5, mine feels like every day, every shift, unless I double pump the clutch.
I don't have floormats anymore. I doubt that it's the clutch not disengaging, as the it engages with the clutch pretty high up off of the floor, and my clutch is less than a week old.

Quick Reply: So I'm the only one...