5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with jerking

Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Leeiswho2b
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need help with jerking

ORIGINAL: Derf00

You said you just bought the car, was it a DD or a track car?

If its a track car, the clutch is probably in need of replacment and the cam in the car is way to aggressive for DD which is what gives you the lopey idle. Find out what kind of cam or the durations of the cam to get a better idea.
It was a DD, but has been to the track before some of the mods. When he replaced the tranny (new from Jegs), he also replaced the clutch. It ran 9.1 in 1/8 at time on street tires, no idea what it will do now. I was told around 8k was put into the engine, but anyone will tell you anything to make something look better.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

Check your MAF- if that's not working properly the engine will run rough. Also your ignition module. Good luck
If its an 88 and not a california car the car will have speed density. Unless it was upgraded to MAF and just not one of the listed mods. Not sure, but if the car is still running speed density and you have all those performance mods, that might be giving you some of your trouble, especially with the idle issues you are describing. Just me 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:03 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

It was a DD, but has been to the track before some of the mods. When he replaced the tranny (new from Jegs), he also replaced the clutch. It ran 9.1 in 1/8 at time on street tires, no idea what it will do now. I was told around 8k was put into the engine, but anyone will tell you anything to make something look better.
It only ran a 9.1? Even on street tires it should be a little better than that. I know someone with a totally stock 95GT (215crank hp) and he ran a mid 9 in the 1/8th, but he can really drive a car hard.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hawk

If its an 88 and not a california car the car will have speed density. Unless it was upgraded to MAF and just not one of the listed mods. Not sure, but if the car is still running speed density and you have all those performance mods, that might be giving you some of your trouble, especially with the idle issues you are describing. Just me 2 cents.
Oops...didn't notice the 88. Good call
Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

If your talking about jerking when you're tooling around at low speed in first (almost slowly enough to have to push the clutch in), I believe this is normal for stick cars.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Leeiswho2b
2nd Gear Member

I was mistaken about the time. I wasn't the one that ran it. It was the previous owner. He says he has the timeslip....was 8.46, without launching hard........Put a complete new MSD distributor on it and it ironed the idle out quite a bit. I have had other 5.0 5 speeds and never jerked as this one does. But the distributor helped that somewhat also. Thinking I may need to upgrade my MAF.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 PM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

lets forget about the whole speed density hickups (as thats a big problem here as well) and consintrate on the basics. its more appearent here rather than more race orientated sites because most people are modifing there first car and dont know as muxh about performance angine building or blueprinting. i will tell you what the problem is

YOUR CAM IS TO GOD DAMN BIG!

i say this because when you look into a cam spec's it says you need to run a higher stall converter in an auto. what this means is the tranny slips to a higher rpm before ingaging because the duration of the cam is not ment for low end power, meaning it will chug as it cannot make the required torque. what does this mean on a stick car? it means you must launch at a higher rpm and keep the engine at a higher rpm either by using higher gears or by slipping the clutch. you are supposed to never let that cam run under 2800 rpm, but anything above 1500 rpm is usally fine for drivability.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

lets forget about the whole speed density hickups (as thats a big problem here as well) and consintrate on the basics. its more appearent here rather than more race orientated sites because most people are modifing there first car and dont know as muxh about performance angine building or blueprinting. i will tell you what the problem is

i say this because when you look into a cam spec's it says you need to run a higher stall converter in an auto. what this means is the tranny slips to a higher rpm before ingaging because the duration of the cam is not ment for low end power, meaning it will chug as it cannot make the required torque. what does this mean on a stick car? it means you must launch at a higher rpm and keep the engine at a higher rpm either by using higher gears or by slipping the clutch. you are supposed to never let that cam run under 2800 rpm, but anything above 1500 rpm is usally fine for drivability.
Nicely said. And thanks for the explanation of what a stall converter does.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:00 AM
Leeiswho2b
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbigshot

Besides drivability, will this cam do any damage to the engine for the time being?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:19 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

it wont damage the engine at all.it just makes driving the car more of a chore. the only bad thing is that you will be slipping the cluch more on takeoff so its going to be harder on the clutch disk and will glaze the flywheel faster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with jerking