5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Another Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:29 PM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Another Clutch Question

if it's not the cable... there are several settings even on the stock quadrant. mine was doing the same last week after I did the 5 speed conversion from the aod. It took a few times to adjust it in the right location...3 clicks from the highest possible point the pedal can go. now it's perfect and shifts smooth and the pedal isn't as stiff.

u'll figure it out
Old 07-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

what did you do to correct the problem? i have tried the lifting up on the pedal to adjust it... I'm hoping it is something simple so i don't have to pull the tranny again >.<

Here is what i think it could be lol

Throw out bearing (replaced with new clutch sooo)
a bind i can't find
something with the clutch pedal and quadrant

Hopefully you know something i don't lol

If anyone has a chilton or hayes manual or h3ll even a factory owners manual or repair guide and could look I'd love it if you could post anything they say about the clutch in there here for me
Old 07-22-2006, 11:48 PM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

it's not the throw out bearing! you cant simply lift up on the pedal... i couldnt anyway, it didnt work for me. I had to push the seat all the way back and lay on your back with ur head under the pedals. with a flashlight, find the quadrant. should be on the right side while laying down and looking up. grap the smaller gear on the quadrant with your fingers and with the other hand, slide the bigger gear of the quadrant either up or down. let go of the little gear and it will grab on one of the notches. it's not hard, just a tight fit and a bit frustrating to find the right notch on the gear. you'll probably have to make a few attempts.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

how does it feel? is it like stock? or alittle stiffer?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:24 AM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

clutch? it's alittle softer than what it was when I first put the 5 speed in! feels normal to me.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for your help I will try this asap
Old 07-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

Ok i tried what you were talking about and that just changed the point at which the clutch shift it didn't help the stiffness at all and something i noticed was that chirping from the trans is still there, it stops when i push the clutch in and starts as soon as i let the clutch out... I love the car and driving it but i wish it didn't kill my foot every time i push the clutch in. It does look like the quadrant is not stock so i dunno if that would effect the stiffness. >.< this is driving me nuts lol
Old 07-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

Ok if anyone with a 5.0 and what looks to be a hays quadrant or any quadrant for that matter could go out and take a pic for me of how it should look, that i can see it would be greatly welcomed. I have tried everything I've searched the net, checked here and still i can't quite come up with what the problem is for this clutch I know it has to be in the cable or the quad I just can't find what. This is my first mustang and also my first mustang. I have driven others and their clutches aren't nothing like this. I just don't see them enough to crawl up under their dashes and check their quadrants LOL my that just sounds wrong on so many levels
Old 07-23-2006, 07:51 PM
ballzoutstang875.0
2nd Gear Member

alright, well I really dont know what to tell you!

anytime one of my buddies drive my car, they tell me that my clutch is stiff as hell! but, im used to it since it's my 4th fox body mustang.
all I can tell you is if it's shifting fine and engaging/disengaging fine. you have no worries. just a weak left leg. haha
Old 07-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Stiffclutch
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know what you mean but when people with the same clutch get in my car and say D@mn that's stiff and i get in their and say man that's light... I get the feeling something is wrong Anyway a bump for some more idea's

Quick Reply: Another Clutch Question