5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TEMP

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:18 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: TEMP

I am saying a 16 yo radiaor that you already informed me is stopped up is not a cool thing.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:22 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: stanger88

Oil doesnt just "thin out" If you have ever monitored oil temps, they normally are 220-240* anything above 240* is pretty dang hot and thats not going to cause your oil to just go watery. If it does, put something GOOD in there, not bargain basement junk. Personally, I use 0-30 German Castrol and love it to death in these hot temps down here in the south.
could be in my coolant? who knows

my stang is in the shop as i type this getting a professional flush/cleaning.

hasnt burned a drop of oil since that happend

it was EXTREMELY hot that day I would say easily over 100F

I use 10-40 castrol GTX high mileage, it's pretty thick but not too thick to build up sludge

they make a 0-30 oil? never seen it at the local auto stores here

and yes MA gets VERY hot in the summer. its been high 90's - 100's this past week.

anyway LX's car dosnt get driven too much so i'd say he has little chance to overheat it but anything is possible. does it look dirty? could barely even see through mine [:@]
Old 07-23-2006, 04:28 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookinforastang

ive sat in 100F traffic with the stock radiator and very "dirty" coolant.

peaking down at the temp guage i noticed it rising above the halfway mark

that same day (before that) my low oil sensor kicked on and sure enough it was reading no oil. im pretty sure due to the heat, the oil just thinned out. it may be in my coolant, i do not know. car is getting a flush tomorrow because i'd rather be safe than sorry.

my car normaly never really even touches the middle bar.

LX 5.0 i know there are no shops around ur area to work on a mustang, especialy your model/year but i would atleast flush it with a garden hose or a low pressure washer (u dont want high pressure).

if u have the money, a 3 core aluminum radiator would be ideal for ur car.
the low oil light goes on when you are 3 litres low.
top it up and check it periodically.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:30 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

ive sat in 100F traffic with the stock radiator and very "dirty" coolant.

peaking down at the temp guage i noticed it rising above the halfway mark

that same day (before that) my low oil sensor kicked on and sure enough it was reading no oil. im pretty sure due to the heat, the oil just thinned out. it may be in my coolant, i do not know. car is getting a flush tomorrow because i'd rather be safe than sorry.

my car normaly never really even touches the middle bar.

LX 5.0 i know there are no shops around ur area to work on a mustang, especialy your model/year but i would atleast flush it with a garden hose or a low pressure washer (u dont want high pressure).

if u have the money, a 3 core aluminum radiator would be ideal for ur car.
the low oil light goes on when you are 3 litres low.
top it up and check it periodically.
heh im insecure, so the next day i did an oil change and like i said, hasnt burned any oil since.

its due for another one soon, its been about 2k+ miles. i just dont feel like getting under the car when its 90F+ outside haha

not to mention i dont have a driveway so i do all my work on the side of the road

ya im ghetto
Old 07-23-2006, 04:33 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

gotta do it somewhere.
I started doing it on the street, until I got a good job. my shop has a hoist.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: stanger88

Oil doesnt just "thin out" If you have ever monitored oil temps, they normally are 220-240* anything above 240* is pretty dang hot and thats not going to cause your oil to just go watery. If it does, put something GOOD in there, not bargain basement junk. Personally, I use 0-30 German Castrol and love it to death in these hot temps down here in the south.
could be in my coolant? who knows

my stang is in the shop as i type this getting a professional flush/cleaning.

hasnt burned a drop of oil since that happend

it was EXTREMELY hot that day I would say easily over 100F

I use 10-40 castrol GTX high mileage, it's pretty thick but not too thick to build up sludge

they make a 0-30 oil? never seen it at the local auto stores here

and yes MA gets VERY hot in the summer. its been high 90's - 100's this past week.

anyway LX's car dosnt get driven too much so i'd say he has little chance to overheat it but anything is possible. does it look dirty? could barely even see through mine [:@]

I recommend you forget me mentioning a 0-30 oil b/c I will NOT want that on my head when you buy something other than German Castrol and fry something with a light weight oil. 10-40GTX has A TON OF FRICTION MODIFIERS in it and is not the best choice of oils. 10-40 non-synthetics contain a LOT of addatives to achieve that 10-40 spread. I would recommend at least a semi-synthetic if you are running that weight or select a different weight, but again, if it works for you and you have not put a lot of time into researching oil, just keep what you have and dont fix what aint yet broke.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:38 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: silver91gt

gotta do it somewhere.
I started doing it on the street, until I got a good job. my shop has a hoist.

I have become proficient at changing my oil with all 4 tires flat on the ground in my driveway, I feel that it drains much better with the nose level and have a serious mental issue with getting under a jacked up car after watching a hydrolic jack collapse and crush to of my grandpas ribs when he carelessly forgot the safety jacks. Dunno, the image just sticks with me and I find it very difficult to get under one.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

my car has 155,000+ miles and dosnt smoke at all so im gunna stick with it.

im sure it has additives, its a high mileage oil. synthetic is out of the question, heard way too many bad stories about synthetics and high mileage engines.

as long as it keeps the rings and gaskets sealed its ok with me. the minute i see blue smoke though i will change
Old 07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
TomSegers

When I'm parked running at idle with the A/C on, the temp does go up but still stays in the 'normal' range, although it does go about halfway through the 'a'. But bear in mind that is in 120+ F with a humidity of about 95 %. A/C will sometimes kick off for about 5 seconds and then kick back on....but that is after about 10 minutes of sitting at idle.

We get some hot weather here !

Tom

Old 07-23-2006, 06:16 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

my car has 155,000+ miles and dosnt smoke at all so im gunna stick with it.

im sure it has additives, its a high mileage oil. synthetic is out of the question, heard way too many bad stories about synthetics and high mileage engines.

as long as it keeps the rings and gaskets sealed its ok with me. the minute i see blue smoke though i will change

Sounds like you have a solid plan to me.

Quick Reply: TEMP