5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car won't crank please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 PM
ineedafox

Default Car won't crank please help

I need help trying to get my 90 to crank. I have a brand new 3g alt., brand new battery in trunk, new starter and starter solenoid, and a new ignition switch. I am pretty sure I have everything wired up correctly. When I turn the key to the on position I get dash lights and the fuel pumps primes. I have no accesssories though. When I turn the key to run absolutely nothing happens. No clicks no nothing. I am not sure where to look next please help. I thought about the computer relay but most of the post I see that going bad in have no fuel pump and I can hear mine prime. I tried to jump the big terminals on the solenoid and the car turns over but won't crank and the same is true for jumping the ignition terminal. I am going crazy with this thing and have been fighting it for months please help. Thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 10:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car won't crank please help

alrighty i'll add my .01

maybe you need to look at this from another angle.....perhaps you
might:
1) research what is supposed to happen when you turn the key
to the start position. ie voltages at certain test points
2) start measuring voltages etc from the ignition switch toward
the starter itself (in stages)....

i'm no mechanic and this is what i would do if i
was trying to troubleshoot my car that doesn't want to start or turn over.

sorry i couldn't help more, i hope you get your baby running and back on the road
real soon
Old 07-24-2006, 12:29 AM
ineedafox

Thanks for the reply. I guess that is what I am going to have to do at this point.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:39 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

hope you didnt seize it :-p
Old 07-24-2006, 01:05 AM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Wow, I totally suggested everything you discussed... My bad, check your spark then... Maybe your distributer or ignition coil is your problem.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:12 AM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Also, did this 90 roll over prior the installation of all those? Did you get a kit, or did you mock up one for the battery relocation? Perhaps your power wires are large enough for your relocation. Make sure you have that solenoid correct. The terminal closest to the firewall should have 5 or 6 wires, and the one closest to the headlights have one, believe the one going to the distributor since it is singled out.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:37 AM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

are you positive all the wires are in the correct spots on the starter solenoid?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:00 AM
will
2nd Gear Member

Check you neutral saftey sw also
Old 07-24-2006, 12:08 PM
ineedafox

The battery was relocated to the trunk with a kit before I bought it. I research for a long time and I am almost certain that the wiring is all correct. I had some ground issues before but have since fixed those. Since I fixed the ground issues the car will turn over but only from jumping the solenoid. When I turnt he key to the on position I only get dash lights and the fuel pump primes. I don't get the radio or the a/c. The horn is hooked up but it has no power either. When I turnt he key to run nothing happens. I have not checked the neutral saftey switch but if that was it wouldn't the car crnak when the solenoid was jumped? I guess it could be multiple things worng but after replacing so many things with no effect I thing it is either a bad connection or wire somewhere. I am just not sure where to start looking for problems. Any advise on this? Thanks for everthing so far. I really want o get the car running it has been months.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:35 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

is you starter selenoid in the fender well or the engine bay? i had almost this exact problem and replaced everything that you did (minus alt.) and still nothing. i was using a multimeter to check for voltage on the selenoid....when i checked for voltage on the terminal coming from the ignition switch (i just pulled the wire up a bit on the terminal so it was still connected) and had the black pin grounded to the frame my buddy turned the key and it fired right up. durrr the whole time it was just a bad ground for the selenoid...it had got a bit corrodded and just needed a quick sanding. try this. good luck

Quick Reply: Car won't crank please help