5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Woody45

Default 5.0 clutch problems

I installed a King Cobra clutch assembly and a new Steeda adjustable clutch cable approx. 1 year ago. Since then, I have replaced the cable 3 times. What could possibly be wrong ? I am thinking of going back to a stock mustang clutch and cable, thoughts ? I don,t race the car it is just everyday transportation. Is the clutch too strong for the cable, or is it just an inferior cable, what am I doing wrong ?

Thanks, Woody

Note: When I installed the 3rd cable cable I looked at the fork to see if it was bent and it looked ok. The cable plastic housing is splitting and the outter cable has frayed either at the firewall or down at the transmission. Even with a new cable it is hard to get the car in first gear, heck any gear for that matter. Like the cable is not releasing the clutch all the way. Spoke with Steeda and rigged it like they said, still eating cables.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 clutch problems

i hear the aftermarket cables dont last as long as the stock cable.. just try replacing the cable with a stock ford one... just my opinion.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Highplanezdrifter
1st Gear Member

you have to pack grease inside the cable with your finger. pack a little in and slide the cable back and forth BEFORE you even put it in the car. it takes about 45 minutes and it will suck. the owner of 1st performance down here told me to do this when i bought my ford racing adj. clutch cable. he said that it will work fine for about 5 or 6 months after you put it in without the grease but then it will start feeling really sloppy. so make sure you grease it up until you see the grease coming out of the other end.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I snapped one in our car and we replaced it with a Ford Racing cable and we put oil on it (recently re-oiled ince I have the dash out right now) and we havent had any trouble out of it. The car had some kind of ford clutch in it and we put a new Spec in it back in april/may and still no problems.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

i had a ford racing clutch put in about a year ago, but just recently after i drive for a lil while, it will get really hard to shift into each gear. i have to push my foot as hard as i can all the way to the floor on the clutch pedal and it shifts a lil easier.. could my clutch cable need adjustment? how can i adjust my stock clutch cable? i know there is something wrong and i dont know what the problem is. i would get a new adjustable clutch cable if my stock clutch cable is the the problem cus i hear they are better to use with aftermarket clutches i just dont know if this is the problem or not.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

mabe its the sycs in your trans

Just my 2c
Old 07-31-2006, 11:18 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

+1 a couple of our guys have snapped aftermarket cables (mostly BBK's) I installed the 03 cobra clutch cable.

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

i hear the aftermarket cables dont last as long as the stock cable.. just try replacing the cable with a stock ford one... just my opinion.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

what exactly are the syncs and what do they do, im not sure how it works... is it expensive to fix? would i be able to do it myself?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 AM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

what exactly are the syncs and what do they do, im not sure how it works... is it expensive to fix? would i be able to do it myself?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:41 AM
smbikes
3rd Gear Member

its what keep you gears from grinding when u shift kind of like times them so it goes in to gear smooth, u have to drop the tranny out and have them replaced but it may not be your problem

Quick Reply: 5.0 clutch problems