5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine pull

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 04:49 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

Default engine pull

ok my dad thinks he knows every goddamn thing about cars and really has no clue..... it was all good up till now cause i was gonna paint my entire car and engine bay......... in order for me to do that i would have to pull the motor.... well he thinks that it will take 4 sun up till sundown days to pull the motor.... prep the engine bay for paint.... paint the engine bay.... and repaint the motor then reinstall the motor...... btw this will be with 3 people workin on the car.... i told him with 3 people it might take 2 8 hour days to do that.... the one guy that is helpin me is a foxbody expert and has pulled many motors before...... i guess it will take about 4- 5 hours with three people to pull the motor.... 3-4 hours to clean up the wiring and get the engine pay preped for paint with three people..... maybe 3 hours to clean up the motor and repaint it and install new bbk valve covers with 2 people.... then about 6 hours with three people to reinstall it..... is this about right?? hes bein a complete azz screamin at me tellin me i dont know what im talkin about and he knows everything.....he says it will take 4-5 12 hour days with 3 people
Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: engine pull

Its going to take about 4-5 days for all that no joke....anything thats worth doing is worth doing right and half assing it...yeah...maybe 2 days...even with 3 people...i can almost quarantee you one guy is going to sit on his *** and do nothing...i have lots of experienced friends...but they're lazy as hell.

What your forgetting is all the sh*t thats going to go wrong....something always does. Not to mention your probably going to have to take the tranny loose and thats a b*tch, let me tell ya....Ive done motor swaps over night..but thats with carb'd engines....much much much simpler to pull and install that a EFI motor.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:56 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

u didnt really make sense???? u said yea 2 days but then in the beginning u said 4-5 days????
Old 08-02-2006, 04:59 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

nah what im sayin is...if you half *** everything...it'll get done in 2-2 1/2 days. But i mean if you really do it right and pay attention to detail...its really going to take about 4 days if you've never done it before. Even with an exspert there to help, if he's really good he's going to want to take his time and do it right.

Good luck man!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:00 PM
jjbg86
2nd Gear Member

i just got done pullen the motor on my 94 gt it took me a little less then 2 days to pull ( thats by my self) and putting it in is going to be the big problem.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:01 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

it's taken me almost 15 man hours to get my heads and intake removed
Old 08-02-2006, 05:03 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

it's taken me almost 15 man hours to get my heads and intake removed
^ see what i mean....it never really goes like you think it will....and most of the time, everything that can go wrong...will.

And if your dad is already against it...when he see's you got the whole engine pay pulled apart...He's really going to take a sh*t
Old 08-02-2006, 05:06 PM
jjbg86
2nd Gear Member

hey r.barn is that a real job getting the heads off when in the car?? those bottom bolts got to be hard to get at?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:06 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

the thing that is gonna help me is the fact that im doing it at a performance shop that builds race cars and the guy who is a foxbody expert told me it would take a whole day with three people...... he said the hardest thing is puttin the motor back in.... and ive sanded a 1969 superbees engine bay down completely to metal in like 5 hours by myself...... so im def thinkin with 2 people in there grindin away it will take like 3 if we move fast..... repaintin the engine bay isnt a problem cause that will be done at night.... i plan on pullin the motor in the early morn and gettin done by 3 or so then preppin the engine bay for paint by 6 or 7 pm then im gonan leave and the engine bay will be sprayed with paint that night.... then im gonna come back the next morn and were gonna try to put the motor back in during that day....... i dont see how it will take 4-5 days of workin 12 hours a day to do it but u may be right....
Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Im tellin you man..you would be surprised....like let me give you an example....

Like about 5 months ago i was porting My lower Typhoon intake. I thought it would take 6hours to pull it, port it and put it back on...damn if i wasnt wrong.

Ive pulled probably 600000000intakes, so that was easy. I ported it, took me 4 1/2 hours to port it and polish it with scotch bright. No problem there either, then i broke my intake air temp sensor, had to clean it like i was going to eat off of it to get all the metal shaving out of it...and that stuff gets places you wouldnt even think, so i took an hour and cleaned it and let it dry 3 times. Then putting it back on, i ripped an intake gasket...had to go but some. That took an hour longer than it should because i had to run to the auto parts store and there some stupid kid there that didnt know his *** from a hole in the ground. Then i got back and put everything together and filled the radiator. I cranked it and water started spurting from the back of the gasket. THe water holes in the gasket were about 3 times to big and they hung off the back of the head. So..back to the autoparts store. Bought the right gasket this time and went back home and put it on. Got it back toghther, cranked it...wouldnt run. Had to go back through everything i had done...only to notice i forgot (oh im going to get burned for this) i forgot the coil wire was off the coil. Well, put it on and tried to crank it. Fired up...but i had a mad *** intake leak the it was idling at 3,000rpm. So i sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and found it, fixed it and by the time everything was said and done....it had taken me about 11 1/2 hours just to do this. Only because everyting that could go wrong, went wrong. Now that was just a simple little precedure. Now think about pullin a whole motor and preppin the engine bay, etc. Having to take the EFI harness out, labeling everything, all the wiring has to be removed and/ or masked off. etc.....

any guy on here can tell ya...set aside about 2 more days than you think it'll actually take.... But if you do get it done in 2 days or so.....i have to hand it to ya brother...you busted some serious *** man.

Quick Reply: engine pull