5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

10% Ethanol Gasoline Affecting Your Stang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Default 10% Ethanol Gasoline Affecting Your Stang?

Just wondering if the new 10% ethanol gasoline was affecting your stang in any way. Have you seen a change in MPG, or did you have to adjust your timing? Just curious if anyone has seen any differences.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Sparky73
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 10% Ethanol Gasoline Affecting Your Stang?

I don't believe we have the Ethanol around here (michigan) yet. I thought there was only a few states that did?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ I thought the same and if they are putting it in now NO I do not feel a difference... I hope they dont start that sh*t.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

we dont have it in NY yet... damn tree huggers they should sell 100+ octane at the pump
Old 08-07-2006, 02:13 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

No matter what they are going to have to still offer 100% gasoline at some pumps because not all vehicles are ment to run off of a ethanol mixture...

Im not sure how ethanol stands up to compression but my bet is that just like alchohol it can be put into higher compression engines than standard 92 octane gasoline because of the presence of hexane in the mixture... However under the same compression conditions gasoline will produce more energy when ignited...

Because of this performance difference they will probably have at LEAST 1 100% gasoline pump at each station that will cost like 300% more[:@]...
Old 08-07-2006, 02:39 PM
5speed GT
3rd Gear Member

ANY vehicle can run on 15% or less ethanol, and when its all over, all fuel will have ethanol. Also, its not so much a tree hugger thing, ethanol is added to fuel, here in America to decrease fuel dependancy from other contries. At first it was also planned to make fuel cheaper, but it ended up costing alot more to produce it. adding ethanol to fuel has made it around 15cents higher a gallon, but its kinda good to be not buying as much from outside sources.

Back to the topic, there is no real difference performance wise. It still has all the same tolerences and such. The only thing to worry about is you shouldnt swap back and forth between enthanol and non ethanol fuel. the additive in the 10% fuel and the additives in regular fuel dont combine very well and somehow or another together they pull moisture and then you have water in your fuel tank. So, before switchign to 10%, run your regular down as far as possible
Old 08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Mac93
3rd Gear Member

Using gas with 10% ethanol causes your engne to run hotter, and a product of burning alcohol is water, so exhaust systems rot/wear out much quicker. We have ethanol in Wisconsin and it sucks!
Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LCBlackDep183

No matter what they are going to have to still offer 100% gasoline at some pumps because not all vehicles are ment to run off of a ethanol mixture...

Im not sure how ethanol stands up to compression but my bet is that just like alchohol it can be put into higher compression engines than standard 92 octane gasoline because of the presence of hexane in the mixture... However under the same compression conditions gasoline will produce more energy when ignited...

Because of this performance difference they will probably have at LEAST 1 100% gasoline pump at each station that will cost like 300% more[:@]...
I wish that were true. I am in Virginia and if you are in the city limits of Richmond among other places, than every pump has that nice little sticker that says "contains up to 10% ethanol" and there is no pump that will still put out 100% gasoline. In fact I don't even think its possible to find a pump that doesn't have ethanol in the city limits (Illegal I believe). In terms of the cars that have issues with ethanol, according to our local news stations, "tough luck and buy a new car".
Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hawk
In terms of the cars that have issues with ethanol, according to our local news stations, "tough luck and buy a new car".
uhhhh, isnt that wrong? a city cant force you to buy a new car, hell tell them to give you the money to buy a new car
Old 08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

ORIGINAL: Hawk
In terms of the cars that have issues with ethanol, according to our local news stations, "tough luck and buy a new car".
uhhhh, isnt that wrong? a city cant force you to buy a new car, hell tell them to give you the money to buy a new car
Hahaha....I wish, no they were just reporting about how some of the older cars will have issues with the ethanol. Something to do with the seals I think. But anyways, nah, if you want to get straight gasoline you have to drive outside of the city. And at $3/gallon, thats not a practical thing to do. And technically no one is forcing anyone to buy a new car. But if you car won't work, thats your problem. Got to love politics. Always screw up the little guy.

Quick Reply: 10% Ethanol Gasoline Affecting Your Stang?