5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EGR 101

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:30 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: EGR 101

ORIGINAL: vristang

So according to what your saying if I have removed the EGR the combustion process would be leaner and result in higher in temperatures?
I want to believe you cause My engine is all of the sudden overheating. This after I replaced the intake and removed the EGR.
[/quote]

EGR gasses will reduce the peak temperature of the combustion in the chamber.

Disabling the EGR system should not affect your AFR's in any significant way. When the system stops working, the computer makes adjustments accordingly.
Many of us have removed the EGR, and had no issues with the AFR.

How do you know that the problem is due to running lean?

Have you pulled the codes?
I would first guess a vac leak, or some other issue with the installation.

jason
[/quote]

Have you removed yours? If so how did you delete it?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

Have you removed yours? If so how did you delete it?

I have removed my EGR, but wish I had not.

When I didn't know better I assumed that ALL emissions equipment reduced power (as many folks believe).

The EGR does not hurt performance as the factory computer shuts the system off when at WOT.

At part throttle you can actually see an improvement in fuel economy due to opening the throttle more, and advancing the timing.

I am currently rebuilding my 408w and will be taking great effort to get the EGR running again.

With that said...
I removed my egr by pluggin the egr passages at the head, which keeps the hot exhaust gasses out of the lower and upper intake, and fabricating a cover plate for the EGR spacer. I just used a piece of flat stock steel.

There is little risk of the computer adding timing at part throttle (as is assumed), so the threat of part throttle detonation after removing the EGR is minimal. Actually, per the Ford computer document it can't happen, but some have reported this issue when removing the EGR. I had a detonation issue for a while but, it turned out to be due to oil deposits.

This probably made no sense, so let me know if you still have questions.

jason
Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG

white spark plugs.

what vacuum hose could cause a lean condition other than the one to the FPR?

yea I pulled codes and lean on both banks was the only one. Ive replaced the o2's and a couple other sensors................
Since you have had the manifold off the leak could be anywhere.

Pick up a can of starting fluid.
with the engine running, lightly spray the starting fluid around all the joints of the upper/lower intake and throttle body.
When the starting fluid is pulled into the intake (through a vac leak), you should the idle increase.

This can be dangerous as Starting Fluid is very flammable. Keep your spray away from the exhaust and you should be fine.

It is also very common for the vac hoses to crack with age, and being moved around during an intake swap can make the plastic hoses break as well.

The problem did not exist before removing the upper/lower intake, and no other changes were made, correct?

jason