5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!!! Car keeps shutting off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
KevinKerr

Default HELP!!! Car keeps shutting off!!!

Ok, here is the background:
93 Cobra
The car has been running hot. Hotter with the higher temps.
Three weeks ago I noticed that the fan (electric aftermarket) had no blades! They were all broken. I replaced the fan but the car is still acting up.
Aftermarket parts: MSD Ignition, Complete exhaust, shifter, maybe a few more unknown to me from previous owner.

Problem:

Three weeks ago the car started 'shutting off' after about 10-15 minutes. NO warning, just like you had turned off the key. It will not immediately restart but if I let it sit for 30min or more it will work for 10-15 more mintues, then die.

I replaced: Distributor, Ignition module, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, and starter (later: fan, thermostat)

After all of that the car was still dying.

So, I put a layer of silicone on the back side of the ignition module and drove late night for over 2 hours before it died.

After towing the car to my cousin's and taking it to a mechanic, we noticed that the fan was supposed to mount on the front of the radiator, not the rear so it was not getting as much air as it should. I replaced it with a better, bigger and correct fan and also changed the thermostat to a 160deg. It now stays under about 140deg, but still runs like ****e!

After all of that it (and letting it sit for a week), yesterday I tried to drive and it started dying almost immediately. I did not get more than 100yds before I was gassing just to keep it running. This is not the normal, but over the last few weeks it has started acting funny before dying out. It also is not ideling correctly, very rough.

Now, I am not sure what to do next. I do not have the kind of money that it takes to go to Ford and pay hundreds to have them HOPE to fix it with expensive tests and parts. I can do most things myself but do not know what to do next!

PLEASE HELP!!!! I need to get the car running by this weekend so that I can get home!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:29 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP!!! Car keeps shutting off!!!

first off.. i would loose that 160deg t-stat and get a 180 deg one.. that is probably the reason why it ran so ****ty after was the t-stat.. with everything you have changed.. i would say try swapping out the computer with a good one ant try driving it... see if that fixes it.. if not then maybe try to unhhok your msd box and see fif it will run any better... hae you tried changing the distributor?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

also try checking the maf.. maybe try cleaning it.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
KevinKerr

Sorry, I did remove the MSD ignition and make like stock.

Distributor is new.

Why does a 160 hurt it ves the stock 192 or a 180?

How can I tell if it is the computer without buying a new one?

It only seems to die once the car gets to temp.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:33 PM
KevinKerr

I am going to clean the MAF, IAC and so on hopefully tonight just as this forum suggests.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php
Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 PM
TMeyer29
2nd Gear Member

there is a certain range that the engine performes best as far as temperature...Im not quite sure ecaxtly what it is but 160 isnt quite thee..switch to a 180
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

because the cars computer is told the temp of the car.. and depending on the temp.. wich.. if i can remember is 180deg.... makes the car either run in open or closed loop.. open.. there is no advancing in timming.... like all the specs for the motor are just set at base.. once the car warms up to 180 or so it goes into closed loop .. timming begins to advance... all sensors begin to work correctly like they should.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
KevinKerr

Ok. I will take back the 160 and get a 180.

What is the main issue?? I need more suggestions...
Old 08-07-2006, 02:43 PM
TMeyer29
2nd Gear Member

go to a shop and have your fuel system cleaned out
Old 08-07-2006, 02:44 PM
KevinKerr

Would that fix the issue of dying after getting to temp?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Car keeps shutting off!!!