5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

blew my motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: blew my motor

Just buy a Summit block :- $499.99. Comes ready to assemble. All tolerances checked, etc. bored, honed.
Get a 306 rotating assembly:- $599---whatever, depending on forged or un-forged pistons.

And usually the rotating assembly comes with bearings, rings, etc. And then assemble it yourself.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

that's fixable, as for the block, might as well check the condition of it before giving up on it
Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Just buy a Summit block :- $499.99. Comes ready to assemble. All tolerances checked, etc. bored, honed.
Get a 306 rotating assembly:- $599---whatever, depending on forged or un-forged pistons.

And usually the rotating assembly comes with bearings, rings, etc. And then assemble it yourself.
Guru, I have the strong feeling that he does not have the skills or the tools to assemble an engine, If you were out looking for a short block, I would assume that you didn ot know ho to do it. If you were asking which pistons were better, then it would be a different story.

Unless you are going to boost or spray, hyperuetenic pistons will be better for you, they weigh less, have tighter clearences and cost less than forged...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

thanks for assuming i'm an idiot^ i'm more lazy than ignorant hence me wanting to buy an assembled shortblock but thats neither here nor there. i will be running nos so i want forged.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:54 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Guru, I have the strong feeling that he does not have the skills or the tools to assemble an engine, If you were out looking for a short block, I would assume that you didn ot know ho to do it. If you were asking which pistons were better, then it would be a different story.
Or...you could just not want to go through the trouble of doing it.

I told him first...find a re-manufactured motor, they're just as good as any short block for normal street driving, weekend bursts at the strip. You can get them from auto-zone and they're about $899.00 with a core charge, which is within his budget, and you can get a long or short block. So if his GT-40's are ok then he's set.

And anyone can do a cam change.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:37 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

^thats what i'm thunkin. is the 899 the shortblock price?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:46 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Screw the 302 man.... go with a 351W. Im about to get a FULL MOTOR from a junkyard for $150!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:52 PM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

ya but i have to worry about smog.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

i hope you are kidding. most engine builders have well over 50 grand in tools alone. will "you" be able to build a decent motor for 1500 bucks....no. not unless you have family or a good friend that builds motors as a profession and owes you a favor. assembly alone can cost more than that from a reputable engine builder. that being said i don't know what decent means to you....
Old 08-07-2006, 07:23 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

i hope you are kidding. most engine builders have well over 50 grand in tools alone. will "you" be able to build a decent motor for 1500 bucks....no. not unless you have family or a good friend that builds motors as a profession and owes you a favor. assembly alone can cost more than that from a reputable engine builder. that being said i don't know what decent means to you....
Are you serious? I hope your joking. You think it takes $50,000 to build a motor? Im in the middle of doing two of them, and i built the 26,000 mile 306 in my mustang right now that i race very regularly, i have a basic set of mics 1"-6" that i bought off of Ebay for $80 and had them re-calibrated at my brother in laws work, a digital caliper, some used gear pullers/ valve spring compressor. A die grinder, a few other sets of air tools and a basic tool box with basic tools. Im no idiot though, you dont need a whole garage full of tools to assemble an engine. I dont know who lied to you but i would imagine companies like D.S.S and CHP are making a fortune off of people like you.

Ive also built two other motors for friends who regularly run nitrous. Im no idiot and making it sound like i dont know what im talking about or saying i dont built 'decent' motors...is an insult to me.

Assembly is free if you do it yourself. Get a torque wrench, some assembly lube and a torque spec sheet and have at it, as long as you did all the neccessary prep work before hand/ fitting rings/ etc. your good to go. As far as machine work goes, your going to have to farm that out to get it done.

Quick Reply: blew my motor