5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dyno, tune and a chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:21 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Dyno, tune and a chip

ORIGINAL: vristang

If you only have to do that once then $700 isn't that bad.

If you will be making any changes to the car though, you may want to consider a tuner of your own.

With a tweecer RT ($525) and a wideband ($200 - $300) you could do all the tuning the shop will do. Plus all your future re-tunes will be free.
There are other tuners out there which may be cheaper, like Moates.net stuff (maybe?).

It sounds like that shop does a very comprehensive tune. Some places give you an hour on the dyno making wot runs, leaving the customer to deal with crappy idle conditions.

I am not trying to convince you not to have a dyno tune, just throwing it out there for consideration.

It sounds like you found a good shop regardless,
jason
I work on cars all day long. Not something I want to fool with in my spare time. Money is def not an issue. Just want the car to be right. I have built the car but I will def leave the tuning to the pros!!! 1 mistake on my part could be a costly one!!! Plus they will work it out on a dyno, not the streets which is where I'd have to do it.

But thanks for the advice anyway!!
Old 08-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Yea, everyone here just seems to love the tweecer don't they? But then you ask how many people have them and no one does... haha. I agree with going to get it dyno tuned, you'll have it done right, for about the same price, and not to mention you'll have some dyno numbers to throw in peoples faces for whatever reason you choose. Co-worker: "Last night I had the best steak ever." You: *Bust thru the door* "WELL I JUST GOT xxx HP BIATCH!"
Old 08-10-2006, 02:34 AM
93foxgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scout2232

Yea, everyone here just seems to love the tweecer don't they? But then you ask how many people have them and no one does... haha. I agree with going to get it dyno tuned, you'll have it done right, for about the same price, and not to mention you'll have some dyno numbers to throw in peoples faces for whatever reason you choose. Co-worker: "Last night I had the best steak ever." You: *Bust thru the door* "WELL I JUST GOT xxx HP BIATCH!"
That was random as hell,

but even funnier than it was random.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:45 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

HPP in Dallas does incredible work and only charges $500 for all that. Any re-tune only requires dyno time....
Old 08-10-2006, 04:04 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

well what the hell are you using now pro....please don't say a fmu
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: turbostang21

well what the hell are you using now pro....please don't say a fmu
Why, what's the big deal. It has been tuned before and ran ok. I just upgraded some stuff hence the need for a new tune.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:16 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

they are good enough to keep you motor safe....as far as performace and tuning capabilities go they are pos. you will be very happy with the new chip tune
Old 08-10-2006, 08:18 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Scehduled to take my new combo in on next Tuesday to
get everything tweaked and custom dyno tuned.

$470 for dyno with chip + shop time to make sure everything set just right.

if you forgot I just installed
AFR165's, BBK SSI, 70mmTB, BBK shorties, 155lph pump, 1.7rr's

Hoping to see 270-280rwhp
Old 08-10-2006, 08:50 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

R.barn, I think you'll be a little closer to 300. I don't wanna get your hopes up....it depends on the condition of your suspension and if you have any chassis bracing, too.

I think I'd rather get a dyno tune than mess w/ the twEECer.... I don't have enough time as it is...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:19 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scout2232

Yea, everyone here just seems to love the tweecer don't they? But then you ask how many people have them and no one does... haha.
I have one, and I have tried to answer the tweecer questions when they came up.
For me it's the right answer as my car is a constant project, that is how I want it.
I have a deep curiosity in how the eec functions, so investing MANY hours in reading through literature is FUN for me.
If you don't share these opinions then no, self tuning is not for you.

PRO50SC stated -
"Just want the car to be right"
People of this opinion who have purchased a tuner, quickly become frustrated.
That is not a bad thing. If you just want to get in and drive, then a dyno tune is THE BEST SOLUTION

As for why there are no tuners/tweecers on this forum...
In all honesty...This site has a reputation for mis-information.
Most people who take the time to learn efi in enough detail to tune, become frustrated very quickly with the constant WRONG answers being dished out on this forum.
I can't count how many times in the last 2 weeks I have had to tell people that a Ford MAF is not calibrated to an injector size, so NO, a 70mm MAF from a 93 cobra/SN95 will not work with your A9* & 24lb injectors.
The constant barrage of non-tech threads is pretty lame too. "Your favorite color on a stang" is decent for a discussion, but not in a TECH forum.
Why doesn't anyone use the search function here? At one point I was posting on 3 pcv questions at the same time?
Sorry for the rant, but I feel much better now.
My point is that tuners move on from here to the tuner forums.

PRO50-
Wish you luck dude, let us know how the tune goes.
I bet they do a great job!

jason

Quick Reply: Dyno, tune and a chip