5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dyno, tune and a chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default Dyno, tune and a chip

E-mailed a local shop that tunes blown foxbodies.

Here is what I read that sparked my interest in them

"What is funny about 5.0's is that you can chip tune them to get the most out of your current combination, especially if you have the MAF Function dialed in for the best driveability.

Ever hear a stang with the infamous loping idle? Well thats not becuase of the cam, its because the computer is in closed loop looking at the 02 sensors being rich, so it pulls fuel, then when it goes lean, it adds fuel and its constantly fighting itself and the idle is affected by that. That is because the MAF function isnt tuned and the car is not running 14.7:1 @ idle. I've done quite a few procharged, vortech and N/A 5.0's and they all idle and drive great. You would be suprised who we have tuned for and how many we have done.

Tom Conrad runs FFW and NMRA along with alot of footbrake money races and we chip tuned him so he could be as consistant as possible. Before we tuned him he was off .1 -.2 tenths from round to round and now he is on his dial everytime and can adjust weight for the weather and track. He has won many events and runs our banner proudly.

More and more 5.0's are coming around to the advantage of chip tuning and we are here to help.

Call us if you want or need more info, we would be happy to help,"

Here is their e-mail response

"Dyno tuning runs 135/hr plus the chip (269). We also need to have a bung welded in the exhaust for a wideband A/F meter. Usually combinations such as yours cost around 700 to tune including the chip and bung. Dyno tuning is done on Tues and Thursdays and we would need the car for two days. The reason why we need the car that long is that we do a complete mechanical check to the car and tune it for daily driveability first and then hit the dyno for power pulls and power tuning. The idle, A/F, and everything else is dialed in well before it ever hits the dyno.

If interested, please contact me directly.

Thank you,"
Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 PM
bouchermb
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno, tune and a chip

I just did a dyno tune, with the wide band A/F gauge, + 3 inch full exhaust and am very happy with the results.

I had Evolution Performance so it.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Well I take it your talking to JJ because tuning his tuning is only on tuesdays and thursdays. Me and my dad have both delt with JJ and have taken our cars too him. He does amazing work. He also does the sct tuning for JPC. My dad will be taking his car to jj soon to get his a/f ratio fixed.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Ahhh Zach, that's good to here. I was gonna use JPC but Justin wasn't gonna do a chip and I want the issues cleared up that only a chip will take care of. He was just gonna make sure the a/f was ok to drop the hammer and then I came across that post by JJ.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:16 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Yep JJ does great work and I've seen some amazing mustangs and Lightnings there. My dad has done a lot of work with him and he is always helpful when ever me or my dad have questions.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Sweet, it will prolly be a couple weeks at least though before I call. Leavin' on vacation Friday for 10 days. I'll prolly call him when I get back. Just to busy right now that's why I e-mailed him instead of calling.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:27 PM
89GTRed
5th Gear Member

that sounds awesome man. I would love to see your before and after dyno results. and 700 isnt bad for getting the chip burned and everything tuned out nicely. Good deal let us know how it goes pro.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:29 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

It's already been dynoed a few times. Last go round was 351/368 if I remember correctly.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:41 PM
50mikey
4th Gear Member

I know what their talking about with the idle. Before I tuned my computer for the H/C/I it sounded like it had a monster cam, well after I tuned it it still lopes but has that fast smooth sexy lope to it lol
Old 08-08-2006, 11:51 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

If you only have to do that once then $700 isn't that bad.

If you will be making any changes to the car though, you may want to consider a tuner of your own.

With a tweecer RT ($525) and a wideband ($200 - $300) you could do all the tuning the shop will do. Plus all your future re-tunes will be free.
There are other tuners out there which may be cheaper, like Moates.net stuff (maybe?).

It sounds like that shop does a very comprehensive tune. Some places give you an hour on the dyno making wot runs, leaving the customer to deal with crappy idle conditions.

I am not trying to convince you not to have a dyno tune, just throwing it out there for consideration.

It sounds like you found a good shop regardless,
jason

Quick Reply: Dyno, tune and a chip