5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WILL A HOLLEY BLUE PULL THROUGH STOCK PUMP??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:54 PM
slopoke

Default WILL A HOLLEY BLUE PULL THROUGH STOCK PUMP??

I WAS TOLD IT WOULD WORK. I DID THE SAME EFI TO CARB ON MY OLD F150 AND IT WORKED FINE BUT A DIFFERENT STYLE PUMP. I HOOKED THE HOLLEY UP TODAY AND IT WOULDNT PUSH THE FUEL SO I PRIMED IT WITH THE STOCK PUMP THAT IS STILL HOOKED UP IN THE TANK BUT REMOVED THE POWER IT HELD 8PSI WHILE I ADJUSTED THE CARB AND THEN NO PRESSURE NO SOMETIMES I HAVE PRESSURE AND THEN NONE BUT PUMP RUNS STEADY. DOES THE EFI PUMP HAVE THAT MUCH RESTRICTION. ITS A 89 GT. I DONT FEEL LIKE PULLING THE TANK TO CHANGE IT SINCE I LOST INTEREST IN THE WHOLE PROJECT BUT NEED TO FINISH IT ALL TO SELL IT. MAY JUST CUT A HOLE IN THE FLOOR TO GET TO IT. THE HOLLEY IS MONTED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BUMPER SUPORT AND USING THE STOCK EFI LINES. THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE
Old 08-11-2006, 02:03 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WILL A HOLLEY BLUE PULL THROUGH STOCK PUMP??

No it won't work from what I've been told. I'm swapping my 86 over to carb, I just bought a pickup from granetelli motor sports. It cost a little under a hundred bucks.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:00 PM
slopoke

I FIGURED IT WOULDNT BUT TRIED ANYWAY. I guesse when the Holley is working its pulling and turning the stock pump until its viens close and thats when I lose pressure. anyway I will cut a hole in the truck to gain access and build an extinsion on to it after I pull the pump out. Probably need to change the Alt. since its not charging either Isnt that controlled by the ecm maybe switch to a one wire instead. Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 06:04 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

I will cut a hole in the truck
Thats a good idea, i did it to.

As far as the pumps and pickups, i made my own pickup for my new carb set up, i just got some metal fuel line and dropped it down into the tank the did a 90* bend right when it hits the tank bottom and continued the metal for about 3-4inches out. It works nice. All you need is a 'straw' type pickup. Or you can find one out of an older carbed mustang in a junkyard.

Did you upgrade to the larger fuel lines? Cause ive heard you have to and ive heard from others that you dont.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:15 PM
slopoke

If the efi can pump high pressure through stock lines i assumed the holley could push 8lbs through the same lines. when it pumps its plenty of fuel and pressure so I will keep the lines the same and try changing the pickup if that doesnt work then I will run all new lines or set the whole thing on fire or something.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:21 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

See im throwing a carb'd engine into my stang and i was going to leave the factory hard lines in there and run some 5/8 rubber lines down the passenger side from a 12ga. fuel cell in my trunk. That way if i ever want to throw my efi engine back in all i have to do is slap the facotry gas tank back under there and i have the lines there.

Im running a manual fuel pump though.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 PM
red85gt
1st Gear Member

Why not use the stock pump and a fuel pressure regulator? It would certainly be easier, but the regulator might cost you more than the pickup from an older car.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 AM
slopoke

Show me a regulator that can hold the pressure down and we all can benifit. I had a aeromotive with a high pressure return and it would stay at 9psi until you hit the throttle and it would peg out my 20psi gauge. You cant regulate a efi pump to run a carb. right now its pulling a steady 8psi with the holley blue pulling through the stock pump. I forgot to tighten the float adjuster in the back of the 4bbl so it couldnt build up pressure but i dont think it will work long so I still plan on changing the pickup.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:25 PM
slopoke

Well just as a note I have been pulling 8psi for three days now with no pressure loss from my Holley blue pulling through the efi fuel pump and stock lines. Carb needs to be re-jetted and it might run right (been sitting for 3 years) I will update this post after I run the car for a couple thousand miles to see if it still pulls with no loss.