5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bet you've never heard of this rear disc conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:53 PM
SD_LX_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Bet you've never heard of this rear disc conversion

Ok guys I need your help figuring out what kind of rotors and pads I need. I bought the car about a year ago now and it already had a 4 lug rear disc conversion on in. I thought cool that’s one thing that doesn’t have to be done, later on my friend was looking at my car a pointed out that my rear discs are larger that my front ones so I knew different parts were used.

I have pictures of the rotors, calipers, pads, and mounting brackets.

I took it all apart and upon measuring the rear rotors I found that they were 12 in with about a 2 in height. I'm pretty sure that the rotors are GM because there's a little GM engraving on them. Sadly I can’t tell if they were 5 lug rotors that were converted to four or if they were both 5 and 4 lug rotors and it was just drilled out a little to fit (see picture)

There is a PBA engraving on the calipers, not sure what make they are but by looking at them it seems as if they’re PBA.
Here's some of the #s on the caliper:
One side: BTR S 22 312K5
Other side: K332-071C-5

I cleaned the mounting bracket on the axle to see if there were any engravings but there were none and they look standard I guess

I need to change both the pads and rotors and AutoZone doesn't know what I need!!! I'll probably try Pep Boys next because they turn rotors and might know more but I don’t know, I need help please RACES ARE TONIGHT!!!

Here are some pics of everything, if you need more to determine anything just let me know Ill post more up cus I have them!!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bet you've never heard of this rear disc conversion

pics didnt go threw, it does not make sence to me for someone to change to gm style..ford is deffinitley a better setup.. what year is your car? does the whole rear end look different? is there any fresh weld's? this is weird i may be able to help you with some pics...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:05 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

my bad, i didnt see the link.. it does not look like a ford setup to me..hmm, someone deffinitley drilled those rotors.. bring the rotors and pads to like an advance auto parts and tell them to match them to something from off there shelf and cross reference it to see what it belongs on when you find the right parts.. i used to work there they hafto do it!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:07 PM
SD_LX_5.0
2nd Gear Member

The car is a 92 LX it the job has no welds its all bolted on and actually looks ok..
Old 08-11-2006, 05:08 PM
SD_LX_5.0
2nd Gear Member

I tried that at autozone.. they didnt know shizz and just scratched their head.
I dont even think they knew how to look it up!!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:10 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

why dont you measure the lug pattern from the rear and compare it to the front and if they are the same then just get the same discs and pads for the rear as the front and then install those and they will all match, you may need to adjust the cliper posistion but it'd be fine. Thats what i'd do rather than trying to find special rotors, will the caliper rub on a 10" rotor? Measure the lug pattern and go to autozone and them you need a 12" rotor to fit that patern, and they should with some time figure it out. And yes those rotor look like they were hacked to fit. Good Luck
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 PM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

That almost looks like the Cadillac Swap. Look that up.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

go ahead and do it rite, do ur own swap.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:58 AM
will
2nd Gear Member

+1 caddy rear disc conversion
Old 08-14-2006, 04:01 PM
tikitz

That really looks like a GM F-body rear disk setup to me, if you have any friends with a latemodel camaro/firechicken, pull the rear tires off and check that, you may be suprised!!

Quick Reply: Bet you've never heard of this rear disc conversion