5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:02 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

Default NEED HELP

I just recently put a new cam, lifters, rr's on my car. So iI reassembled the car and it wouldnt turn over at all, wont even make a noise. i figured the started was beat. BUt then i tried spinning the motor over by hand just to make sure. And evreytime i reach a certain point itll stop and it sounds almost like somethings hitting something else. Now i took the heads off and everything now thinking maybe something coulda fallen down in there when i had it apart. Nothing there. I put my new cam in and positioned it right at about 5:30 (a little before 6 o clock). It still does it, i think its something to do with my cam. I just dont know what, i think something is causing my valves to hit my piston but i cant figure out y. Obviously my timing is off now from spinning it over ny hand with the dist. out. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME SOMETHING!!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:22 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP

How did the motor spin when you had the heads off?
OK?

When you installed the cam, did you degree it? Did you just line up the dots on the timing set the first time?
Did you check the rotation every step of the way? That would eliminate something...

I looked at your sig, is it still stock heads?

- Jeff
Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

What cam do you have?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:20 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, what cam and what size RR's (1.6 or 1.7)?
Also, did you do a psiton to valve clearance check?
Are the rockers pedestal or stud mounted and how did you adjust them?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:36 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

its a F cam. I heard u didnt have to degree alphabet cams. They are stock heads but the turbo kit and stuff isnt on yet. with the heads off it did the same thing. I have 1.6 pedestal mount RR's. I dont know how to check the piston to valve cleareance. When i first put the cam in i put the timing mark on the very top cuz thats where it was when i took my stock cam out. I read a chiltons manual and it said to position the cam a little bit b4 6 o clock. I really dont know what to do and this is one area im very unfamiliar with
Old 08-14-2006, 02:47 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

I think that F cam is too much for stock set up. Sounds like you don't have the cam degreed right to me.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:49 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 16FoxBody

its a F cam. I heard u didnt have to degree alphabet cams. They are stock heads but the turbo kit and stuff isnt on yet. with the heads off it did the same thing. I have 1.6 pedestal mount RR's. I dont know how to check the piston to valve cleareance. When i first put the cam in i put the timing mark on the very top cuz thats where it was when i took my stock cam out. I read a chiltons manual and it said to position the cam a little bit b4 6 o clock. I really dont know what to do and this is one area im very unfamiliar with
What year motore is it?
You should be able to install the F-cam "straight up".
The dot on the crank gear should line up with the dot on the cam gear or rather the dot on the crank gear should be at 12:00 and the dot on the cam gear should be at 6:00 or dot-to-dot. With this the piston should be at TDC (compression stroke) and both valves closed. The balancer should also be very close to the '0' at the timing mark and I think the key will also be at 12:00.
To check piston to valve clearence, put lrage piece of clay or playdo on top if the pston, install a used(compressed) head gasket and install the head with a few head bolts or studs. Rotate the motor, making certain the cylinder you put the clay in makes it through its entire cycle (suck, squeeze, bang, blow) and that both valves have opened and closed. Then remove the head and check the clay. Cut it in half to measure the thickness of the clay where the valves left their imprint.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JeffUtica

ORIGINAL: 16FoxBody

What year motor is it?
Reason I asked, is because I *think* pre '87 the F cam would not work unless you nothed the pistons.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:18 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

its a 92. Ok so i have tp spin the crank so that grove and timing dot are at 12 o clock, the cam gear, the little notch or point thing should be at 6 o clock and the cam gear should slide over that and have it sit at 6 o clock. then attach the chains and i should be all set? does it matter that i spun the motor over with the dist out? i know i have to reset the timing to TDC but using spark plug #1, i just wanna know if thatll affect what im doing right now. thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 04:40 PM
16FoxBody
2nd Gear Member

bump, just one last answer please