5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Paint is done, I know, but I wanted your guys opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:17 AM
JeffUtica
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Paint is done, I know, but I wanted your guys opinions.

Very nice job! You should be proud that you did yourself in a garage.
What brand products did you use? 2 coats of clear is ok if it's a high solids clear and you plan to wet sand a buff. You would have been safer with 3 coats. Leaves more room for any errors. Been there, done that. Just be careful not to cut through to the base coat if you do wet sand & buff and stay away from edges.
Orange peel is a concequence of spraying conditions and using reducers and hardners suitable to temperature.
Since you don't have the luxery of a spray booth you're at the mercy of mother nature and a little luck. But that's why you wet sand and buff. Nice ride!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:22 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

are u located in NH?

car looks great
Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Thanks again, I am located in Oklahoma. I used PPg products, and a 90 degree reducer. It is a little higher, but I was told that it would look better with those products. I am very happy, the paint over the entire car matches now. When I bought her, the drivers side was three different shades of the color you see. It needed to be freshened up. I may wet sand it again and apply one more coat of clear, but I want to wait until it cools down a little, I hate 100 degree weather! I guess now I can focus back on some other mods that I have been wanting, like headers and a new H-pipe, does this ever end?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:48 AM
matchstick

Looks good man.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 AM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

No, it will never end.......you are stuck now. We are all in the dark hole we created and if we don't complete the job our cars will always suck.

So look on the bright side! We all have a cool website and we can remind each other of this!

Seriously.......If I did not have my stang I would not have anything to do and golf sucks in comparison to racing.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:59 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95hooptey

No, it will never end.......you are stuck now. We are all in the dark hole we created and if we don't complete the job our cars will always suck.

So look on the bright side! We all have a cool website and we can remind each other of this!

Seriously.......If I did not have my stang I would not have anything to do and golf sucks in comparison to racing.

I couldnt agree more, and so the saga continues..............I am calling JEGS!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:01 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

If you want that peel gone cut that clear with some 800 grit right now, then lay 3 more coats and color sand. Make the finish just like a mirror
Old 08-21-2006, 01:08 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I want the peel gone, btw, your car turned out really nice. What do I use after the 800 grit? I have been using a P500, which is supposed to be like a 2000 grit. What I dont understand, it is only on the doors that is bad, in my opinion. The rest of the body looks good and is smooth.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:12 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Well you get better after shooting lotsa coats is what I found I did the hood last on my car and had almost no peel at all in it. And the color sanding prosess sucks but the rewards are kick ***.

If you want to shoot more clear hit the car with 800 wet or dry (prefer wet) clean with wax grease remover /alcohol water mix, then shoot 1 tack coat, 1 med wet coat, then one flow coat. Thats what i have found worked the best for me. Always let it flash a lil longer than 15 and I never had one run at all.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:13 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

for the orange peel do u have a da sander? need one with a 3/32 stroke and the 3m hook it 2 system with some 3000 grit paper then a finishing polish dont really need the wool pad with the rubbing compound. but u also have to consider that orange peel is good for durability! it help hide inperfections also!

Quick Reply: Paint is done, I know, but I wanted your guys opinions.