5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Default Dash lights

What would make the dash lights not work besides the fuses? Is there a relay? Do they work off of the multi function switch? I have had NO dash lights for two months and it is starting to drive me crazy. The lights on the head liner work, its just the dash lights. PLEASE help.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
90stangerlx

Default RE: Dash lights

its probably your dimmer switch, my dash lights dont work unless its all the way turned on now. which burns the dome and courtesy light. the damn thing is $80 so im learning to live with it. just avoiding night driving or unplugging the dome light whenever i have to [:@]
Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Really? Mine do not work no matter if it is turned up or not. Will one work from a 4 cylinder car?
Old 08-23-2006, 10:48 PM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

I have the exact same problem and its been for about 2 months... I'm gonna take apart my dash and check the dimmer switch and everything else to see what it could be... No matter how i dim the switch they don't work and the fuse is good..
Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Red FIVE O
2nd Gear Member

more than likely it is the dimmer switch. happend to me pull one of a junk car in the salvage yard. its free
Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 PM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

I will do this tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 PM
90stangerlx

thats a good idea..lol. we took mine out and cleaned the spring a little with a nail file. i got it to work on the highest lighting without being full on, saved me $80 for the time being. but yea ill check out this junkyard deal eventually. just bought the car and not on the top of my priority list.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:19 PM
5Liter Import Eater
2nd Gear Member

yea i gotta check mine... is it hard to take the dash apart? do i have to lower my steering column?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I've told this story before, so I'll be brief. When I first bought my car, it had no dash lights. I took it to a garage who told me that my dash was fried, but that they could send it out to get fixed for $450. Yeah right. I went home and pulled the stereo because some fool had wired the speakers incorrectly. While I was in there, I figured I'd pull the dimmer switch, and trace the wires to make sure they were going to the right places. Well, sure enough, the same moron had wired the negative wires (including a speaker negative) into the dimmer switch, and grounded it out. I guess it's sort of easy to do that, since at least one of the dimmer wires goes into the factory stereo. Long story short, after I rewired everything, the dash lights finally came on. I was happy like a runaway slave.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Drexl
3rd Gear Member

my dash lights i have to play with.. the dimmer doesnt work at all.. but if i get it in just the right position theyll work fine.

Quick Reply: Dash lights