5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Underdrives pulleys and stock belt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:38 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Default Underdrives pulleys and stock belt?

will the stock belt work with the underdrives or do i need a lil bit longer one?.. wasnt sure it the tensioner hald enough movement to make up fo the new size of the pulleys.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Liegekiller

Default RE: Underdrives pulleys and stock belt?

It has been a while since I have used these but you can find out by looking it up on summitracing.com or calling them. I had a lot of issues with my charging system so I had to remove the pulleys and go back to stock. It just didn't make enough power to make up for the fact that I couldn't listen to my radio at night if the heater was running. Course here in Colorado it gets cold so we use our heaters a lot.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:08 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liegekiller

It has been a while since I have used these but you can find out by looking it up on summitracing.com or calling them. I had a lot of issues with my charging system so I had to remove the pulleys and go back to stock. It just didn't make enough power to make up for the fact that I couldn't listen to my radio at night if the heater was running. Course here in Colorado it gets cold so we use our heaters a lot.

i have heard this alot. i have a nice stereo system in my car.. a 800 watt amp and a 10 inch sub woofer... will i have problems at night running the alt. pulley with my lights on and my radio on?.. if so can i run the stock alt. pulley and the 2 other underdrives?.. and what about the belt?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

you will need a shorter belt....and I hate under-drive pulleys on a street car
Old 08-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frdmstng1986GT

i have heard this alot. i have a nice stereo system in my car.. a 800 watt amp and a 10 inch sub woofer... will i have problems at night running the alt. pulley with my lights on and my radio on?.. if so can i run the stock alt. pulley and the 2 other underdrives?.. and what about the belt?

I run the stock ALT. The ALT charges up when you start running but at a stop it will go low. My ATL doesn't go crazy low on amps so I'm keeping that one for a good while although I plan on upgrading it. On the belt issue I upgraded my belt but I removed the A/C so I had no choice. I'm not sure how it is with the A/C still on the car.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

I see your sig says 500HP on a N/A 347??? What's your combo set up?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:51 PM
MustangKid5.0

The stock belt should work....I just put some pulleys on my car last weekend and i used the stock belt i have a 91....as for charging anit to bad....i have a JL 500/1 amp and to 12 in subs...and at night i have no promblems....only at idle .....as long as i keep my rpms up everything stays charged
Old 08-24-2006, 04:11 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

You will need a shorter belt and yes the alternator pulley will need to go on, my GT came with U/D pulleys, but didn't have the alternator pulley and I suffered from some serious charging issues, put on the BBK kit and it fixed everything.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

So why cant you just run the underdrive kit without the alt pulley? Thats what I did on my 88 and seemed to be fine.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:11 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

why do people install the u/d pulley without the alt pulley? anyways no you shouldn't need a shorter belt. and Fox's normally do have charging problems. when I installed them on my SN95 I used the same belt but my alt is better than that in Fox's so i got the hp increase with no downside.

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

You will need a shorter belt and yes the alternator pulley will need to go on, my GT came with U/D pulleys, but didn't have the alternator pulley and I suffered from some serious charging issues, put on the BBK kit and it fixed everything.

Quick Reply: Underdrives pulleys and stock belt?