5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Keith
1st Gear Member

Default Shorty headers

My engine is mostly stock. I'm thinking about headers. What kind of performance gains can I expect? Is anyone running the h-pipe with 'high performance' converters? What brands are recommended??
Old 08-25-2006, 09:12 AM
1985stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Shorty headers

i'm not sure about the performance gains, but it sure will sound better.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Cloud 9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1985stang

i'm not sure about the performance gains, but it sure will sound better.

+1 my buddy has an 87 T-top with shorty headers. Sounds like a freakin' airplane going down the road.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

gains are limited to the rest of your exhaust system, if you put headers on get shorties, 1 5/8" dia., equal or unequal, but get ceramic coated, and single flange. The headers may gain 5-10 hp, but are dependant on effectiveness of the rest of the exhaust, get a high flow x pipe (2 1/2"), and a tuned catback system(2 1/2")... not just some mufflers... theres a science to exhaust systems and correct backpressure for peak performance. Get a Bassani or BBK High Flow x pipe w/ cats

H Pipe sounds deeper tone, X Pipe is raspier at higher rpms and flows minimally better, 1-2 hp difference.

Good Luck
Old 08-25-2006, 10:59 AM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

gains are limited to the rest of your exhaust system, if you put headers on get shorties, 1 5/8" dia., equal or unequal, but get ceramic coated, and single flange. The headers may gain 5-10 hp, but are dependant on effectiveness of the rest of the exhaust, get a high flow x pipe (2 1/2"), and a tuned catback system(2 1/2")... not just some mufflers... theres a science to exhaust systems and correct backpressure for peak performance. Get a Bassani or BBK High Flow x pipe w/ cats

H Pipe sounds deeper tone, X Pipe is raspier at higher rpms and flows minimally better, 1-2 hp difference.

Good Luck
haha, that about sums it up right there! I would add that I've had good experience with the BBK catted X-pipe, but now I have an O/R Prochamber and I love it! Depending on where you live, you could always go "catless", but be careful with emissions and state laws. As far as mufflers are concerned, Flows sound good, but are very restrictive. I like Magnaflows myself.

I agree with 7upedition, 1 5/8" ceramic coated headers are the way to go. I bought chrome shorties because they were cheaper, but I've regretted it ever since.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:53 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Damn well I'll say this, headers alone may net 4-8 hp, but with a full exhaust, I think you're looking at a 10-15 hp gain so that's about the only thing not covered.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:59 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I personally like my SLP's.... great quality, nice sound, etc.

When do you think you should jump up to 1 3/4'? I know with a 1 5/8 you will get a tiny bit more torque but with a blower, intake, cam and heads eventually I should definetly go with a 1 3/4 right?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:05 PM
LCBlackDep183
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cepowers18

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

Good Luck
haha, that about sums it up right there! I would add that I've had good experience with the BBK catted X-pipe, but now I have an O/R Prochamber and I love it! Depending on where you live, you could always go "catless", but be careful with emissions and state laws. As far as mufflers are concerned, Flows sound good, but are very restrictive. I like Magnaflows myself.

I agree with 7upedition, 1 5/8" ceramic coated headers are the way to go. I bought chrome shorties because they were cheaper, but I've regretted it ever since.
*uck state laws, off-road is the way to go!! just swap em out and put the stock back in for emmisions!
Old 08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Horsepower TV got 14 at the wheels by doing full exhaust, and I think that was a catted midpipe. That was after they did a full ignition upgrade though.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:30 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

i agree with you LC but he says state law requires it and he may not have the $$ to have two setups at the time.

Quick Reply: Shorty headers