5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

smog

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:32 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default smog

back in the day it was like a 100 bucks for an illegal smog.... now that the smog laws are really strict in cali... is it even possible to get one now days? even if it is like 500 or more? any thoughts? i am just wondering if its possible now days.. and if anybodys heard of it recently... thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 07:08 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: smog

in cali it is impossible to get an illegal smog on a certian amount of veichals, but the cars that are not required to go to a SMOG ONLY shop regulated by the state can be smogged with out even going to the shop if you got the hook up and will pass for $250.00 around here.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:30 PM
1hot88drop50
2nd Gear Member

i think all stangs before 91 in cali are pretty much smog only shops. Cali is trying to get rid of repair shops that also do smog because there was so many illegal smogs being done. My advise if you need to get your **** smogged.. keep the stock parts you swaped out and when smog times comes, put em back. thats pretty much how we do it out here. in the long runs it evens out and plus you dont have to keep searchin for teh hook up. espcialy because they get fewer and fewer every year.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:18 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i live in lake county, i only have to smog my car once while i own it, and thats the very first time i buy it... my problem is... is that i gotta 88gt and it has around 170k... it dont run bad, but it aint new... and it has a few small parts taken off (person before me)... it is missing a few vaccume lines... one that goes into the fender that connects to some little box unit next to the smog pump.... thats not enough detail im sure... but also there is no exhaust... its like unbolted from right where the h pipe is... i was thinking about putin on mufflers and trying to smog it... but i have some serious doubts... any thoughts? the car is mostly stock
Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

my friend is the service manager at garden grove ford so no matter what i do to may stang, it will still "pass" smog (for the price of a normal smog test). if you know the right people, its realy easy to get an illegal smog. most have my friends have go-karts......i mean imports (whats the difference?) and they still get illegal smogs. you just have to know the right people. at least this is how it is down here about a half hour south of L.A.

oh ya, and i get all my parts at 60% off and labor too!
Old 06-25-2004, 08:04 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

well then that answers my ?... i'll just have to talk to people and see what i can come up with...since my motor is loaded with miles is there any way i can increse my chances of passing... like putting on hella restricted mufflers and stock manifolds and **** like that? thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 08:08 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

if you can get it to run lean, your good to go. my stang for some reason runs pretty lean and at idle, has literaly no polution coming out the back (the test doesnt lie). so maybe if you can restrict the air flowing into the engine so the computer leans out the mix...........not sure though
Old 06-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

Can you remove the smog pump without any computer mods?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:25 PM
bmorrisj
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

my friend is the service manager at garden grove ford so no matter what i do to may stang, it will still "pass" smog (for the price of a normal smog test). if you know the right people, its realy easy to get an illegal smog. most have my friends have go-karts......i mean imports (whats the difference?) and they still get illegal smogs. you just have to know the right people. at least this is how it is down here about a half hour south of L.A.

oh ya, and i get all my parts at 60% off and labor too!
man hook me up with some stuff...
Old 06-26-2004, 02:02 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

bmorrisj...what the f*ck!! you live in buena park? i live 1 mile south of knotts berry farm over by western high school. where in buena park are you?

Quick Reply: smog