5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:19 PM
blackride
1st Gear Member

Default Ebay?

I am having real problems finding a 5.0 89 - 93 here in Cleveland. I started to look on ebay and saw some interesting prospects.

Has anyone here had any experience buying a stan or any other car on ebay? I am interested to know your thoughts.

Thanks Again!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:34 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ebay?

i dont have any experience personally but from what ive heard you really have to be carefull and dont expect it to be as nice when you get it as it seems in the discription. there are a lot of great deals on ebay but there is also a lot of crooks. personally i wouldnt buy a car without seeing it and driving it but thats just me
Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Rixter
1st Gear Member

My brother bought a '73 Maverick of ebay, car was about 300 dollars, shipping was about 700 lol. The guy said it ran but when he got it, it didn't. Granted, not a lot of work was needed to make it run, but make sure you ask lots of questions and get lots of pictures, I would definately ask for additional pictures, just to keep 'em honest. Also, depending on how far away it is it may be cheaper to take a friend and road trip to go pick it up, but then make darn sure it runs good before you buy it lol.

Basically, if it really looked like a good car, I'd be comfortable buying one off ebay.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:38 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

i baught my bike on e-bay.. it costed me $8500 as long as you pick it up and check it out when you do thats the only way i would trust it! i drove 5 hours with a truck and trailor to get it and i test drove it and checked it out! i would never just take someones word for it and have something that big shipped... ive herd bad stories
Old 08-27-2006, 04:41 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Personally, i wouldnt ever buy a car that i couldnt inspect first... just my opinion...
Old 08-27-2006, 05:28 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

like i said if you could buy something local and check it out 1st i wouldent see a problem with it!
Old 08-27-2006, 05:32 PM
red50stang
2nd Gear Member

I haven't personally bought anything on ebay, but I have a few friends that have, one of which bought a BMW 330ci, went and looked at it test drove it and got a really good deal, the other however, bought a 68 Mustang Fastback, didn't go see it, just paid the guy and had the car shipped and when it showed up it was a complete bucket of rust that barely ran. So basically what I am saying is if you're going to buy a car on ebay that you should go and see the car and make sure you're getting what you paid for.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
speedster8

I bought my 90 5.0 on ebay. No problems. I recommend not buying anything that has to be shipped. Find one thats close enough to pick up personally. That way you can inspect and drive the car before you pay. Don't send any money up front. Call the person to get an idea of his/her character. Ask questions!

-Brad

ORIGINAL: blackride

I am having real problems finding a 5.0 89 - 93 here in Cleveland. I started to look on ebay and saw some interesting prospects.

Has anyone here had any experience buying a stan or any other car on ebay? I am interested to know your thoughts.

Thanks Again!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StrongStang50

i baught my bike on e-bay.. it costed me $8500 as long as you pick it up and check it out when you do thats the only way i would trust it! i drove 5 hours with a truck and trailor to get it and i test drove it and checked it out! i would never just take someones word for it and have something that big shipped... ive herd bad stories
Thats the only way it should be done. Pretty much the only way ebay is a bad place to buy cars, is if the buyer isnt smart about it.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:09 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I sold a bike on ebay. The guy won the auction, came down that next weekend and inspected the bike, paid cash, and rode it home. If you could inspect the car before you buy it, its the best deal, no surprises, know what I mean?

Quick Reply: Ebay?