5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Seats and Cages

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:17 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Seats and Cages

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

ORIGINAL: JD1969

With times like yours you might want to rethink your S/N and sig J/K

That was pre-supercharger.........a 12.5 will out run a SS anyday of the week...........Oh and here is my cage..........

[IMG]local://upfiles/38374/D0C94235054D4DA9B72B405FF2ED397B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38374/E45B572A44E44D30A82E27B44F568761.jpg[/IMG]
Not my SS I am just messing with ya anyways.

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

I agree with JD.........when I get into my vert with a cage it is a pain in the ***. The stock seat belts are gone...so I have the G-Force Cam-Lock 5 points that I have to tend with. I cannot synch myself in the car.....because then I cannot get to the radio and sometimes 5th gear to too far away for my short arms. So I loosen the belts alittle. And even then it sucks...because they tear into my neck....and get uncomfortable on a 15+ minute drive. And you also have the dreaded which roll-cage bar am I going to hit my dome on. I have all mine padded to NHRA specs for the driver side........but my passenger doesn't.

Unless you are going faster then 13.99 because then you have to have a cage in a vert......if not....dont waste your time.......

I got the cage with the car.....
Thank you at least somebody else commenting in this thread has had PERSONAL EXPERIANCE with this.

Nick I refer you to my previous post

ORIGINAL: nick_thames

My first question is, do you really need a cage? If it's a street car there are more safty reasons NOT to have cage than to have one.
Like What????? IMO all cars should come from the factory with roll cages! Anything is better than being buckled into the milk cartons we ride around in today. Imagine hitting a tree in the drivers side door at 55mph. Ive seen a 60+ year old woman get cut in half running the speed limit and demolished her cavalier. Now you add in a roll cage, you protect the drivers compartment in numbers that probably double or triple the safety impact zones. Add in some good seats and 5point harnesses, your chances of surviving that same crash, double if not triple. I say ADD THE CAGE!
You really could not be more wrong
What you guys all need to understand that a cage/bar is just PART of a safty system, it is meant to be used in conjuntion with #1 a helmet and #2 a 5 point harness. Without those two important parts a cage is just a big peice of steel waiting to smack you in the head. Now I have owned "street cars" with cages but they were not my daily drivers and while I did not wear a helmet I damn sure had my harness on when I drove them, however for the harness to work properly you need to cinched in tight, which makes working things like the radio a real pain in the ***. Not to mention crawling over a door bar everyday getrs old fast (yes I know about swing out door bars). Trust me, unless the car NEEDS a cage to meet track rule your better off without one.

ORIGINAL: Dath

Most the drag strips in my area require 6-point cage and 5-point belts.
NHRA requires a 6 point roll bar at 11.99 for older cars and 11.49 for newer. IHRA is 11.49
Old 08-30-2006, 01:37 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Hey JD it is all good.........the cage and whine of the blower intimidates most ppl so they dont race me anyways.....
Old 08-30-2006, 03:30 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

a cage in an accident on the street would suck! your head will hit things it shouldnt and with a cage the car may not crumple like it should which puts all the g-forces on your body. i hate to think about my car being smashed in an accident but when it comes to my life or my car being crushed,.....the choice should be obvious
Old 08-30-2006, 03:49 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

thank you lucky..........
Old 08-30-2006, 04:19 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Thank you at least somebody else commenting in this thread has had PERSONAL EXPERIANCE with this.

Nick I refer you to my previous post

Ive got personal experience. Me and my dad have taken his 67 Camaro on a bunch of classic car cruises, very long cruises 150+ miles, its got a NHRA spec 12 point in it. Its gusseted, the whole 9 yards. Its got Simpson 5 point harnesses in it, yea like SS said, its a little bit of a bitch to manualy shift the TH400 in it, but if you get your seat right its no prob. As far as getting in and out. It can be a hassle, but only if your about 340lbs and have a beer gut, and a ditachable steering wheel helps alot to. We properly padded all the bars behind your head, over your head, sides, everything. Personally...if i was in a crash, any kind, head on, side impact, whatever...i would rather have a cage in the car with me, seeing my buddies 95GT after he got hit head on by a drunk in a 2001 F250 pickup at 50mph, he died by the way (Greg Stevens 1/23/86 - 6/10/06 ) and believe me when i say mustangs fall apart in collisions, i would much rather have the cage in the car. If i get a concusion from popping a bar, then so be it, but that bar may have saved my life. And chances are, thats all you'll get, because if you flop around in the car that much, you musta hit something pretty damn hard and your probably going so fast your dead anyhow. I mean the survival percentage in a crash above 75mph drops to almost 0 anyways. And side bars are a nice thing when your getting T boned in a uni-body car because the whole center of the car just wraps around the front of the car that hits you.

I could be wrong, i could be right...but if i got hit head on at 50mph...after seeing Greg's motor shoved through the firewall and intruding into the passenger compartment...id be more than happy to have a cage. Flame me...i dont care.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 AM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

you got a great point. but when i saw a pure bolt on vtec civic (99 si) do a one wheeled burnout up my road with the graphix and the whole nine yards, a roll cage with stock seatbelts and a fire extinguisher hanging from the a pillar, you kind of shake your head. those cars dont deserve roll cages, however since my 5.0 is all suspension, I wish i had a roll cage just for the feeling of rigidity in the chassis.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:57 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whiteout 5.0

you got a great point. but when i saw a pure bolt on vtec civic (99 si) do a one wheeled burnout up my road with the graphix and the whole nine yards, a roll cage with stock seatbelts and a fire extinguisher hanging from the a pillar, you kind of shake your head. those cars dont deserve roll cages, however since my 5.0 is all suspension, I wish i had a roll cage just for the feeling of rigidity in the chassis.

Probably one of those bolt in "for looks" cages.

Yea, they do make the chassis solid as a rock, thats the truth. Like the 67-69 Camaro's are uni-bodies to and it made his Maro' stiffer than hell. It ran a best of 9.78 @ 136mph two weeks ago when he was down in Georgia...i wish i had been there to see that, that was on a 200hp shot on his big block. He has to have that cage inspected like every 3 yrs now i believe to keep it legal.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 AM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

guys.......some of you are basing having a roll cage because of how fast you can go in the Quarter......That makes no sense. Who cares how fast you are. I would much rather bang my head off a padded rollbar than to have the roof cave in or have the door come crashing over the side of me. Trust me, if you get hit bad enough anyway, regardless of what your head bounces off of, your chances of making a terrible crash out alive are slim anyway. Flame on about how having a cage should only be for fast cars...you dont know what somebodys running until you see it for yourself. And for SS that said you should only have a rollcage in a vert if it runs faster that what 13.9.......What about the guy that just ran a 14.0 and didnt have a cage because SS said so, so he leaves the track in it and run off the road and he flips going home...Its not retarded to have a cage if your car is slow.......ITS RETARTED TO THINK THAT YOU ARE BETTER OFF WITHOUT ONE or the only time you will crash is at the dragstrip where your car runs 12's.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Hey I am not flaming anybody, just giving you guys my experianced opinion. I work a chassis shop for a living and build cages all the time, I think that qualifies me to have a pretty educated opion on this subject. IMO there is a big differance between having a cage in a weekend street/strip car than your daily driver.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:00 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nick_thames

guys.......some of you are basing having a roll cage because of how fast you can go in the Quarter......That makes no sense. Who cares how fast you are. I would much rather bang my head off a padded rollbar than to have the roof cave in or have the door come crashing over the side of me. Trust me, if you get hit bad enough anyway, regardless of what your head bounces off of, your chances of making a terrible crash out alive are slim anyway. Flame on about how having a cage should only be for fast cars...you dont know what somebodys running until you see it for yourself. And for SS that said you should only have a rollcage in a vert if it runs faster that what 13.9.......What about the guy that just ran a 14.0 and didnt have a cage because SS said so, so he leaves the track in it and run off the road and he flips going home...Its not retarded to have a cage if your car is slow.......ITS RETARTED TO THINK THAT YOU ARE BETTER OFF WITHOUT ONE or the only time you will crash is at the dragstrip where your car runs 12's.
Nick if a roll cage is so important in a VERT (or any car for that matter)...then the government would have mandated it and the manufacturers would build them. There is a reason why they dont, that I am not privy too. I have a cage, I have 5 point seatbelts, from my personal experiance it is not worth it in a daily driver. I condone having one......in a racecar. But for everyone saying they wish they had one.........STOP spending money to make your car FASTER....and put that money into a cage SO YOU CAN BE SAFE. Until you do...please stop saying how much you want one....GET THE DAMN THING ALREADY.

Quick Reply: Seats and Cages