5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

just got car, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:15 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default just got car, have a few questions

ok, well i just picked up my first 5.0 yesterday. never been happier. however its not perfect, it needs a few things fixed... this is where yall come in... 1st off, the drivers side door does not lock... key wont turn, automatic lock will lock the passanger but not the driver... and im afraid to push down the pin, because i dont think itll come back up. so what do i do? next. the pass. side fog lamp does not work, its not the bulb, and the driver side works, so what should i look at for this? uh ok lets see... next... my spedo likes to bounce sometimes... its not a big deal but hey while im fixing everything else ima fix it too, now i plan on switchin it out for a 140 speedo, if i do that will that not be a prob anymore, or is it something else causing this? if so, where do i start to fix that. and lastly i plan to do a full tune up on it, just so i know its all up to date, etc. so far i can think of, plugs, wires, oil, tranny fluid, airfilter. im sure theres something im forgeting tho, so lets hear your opinions on that. well i thnk thats it, and thanks alot for all your guys help. its appreciated.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:26 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: just got car, have a few questions

i have the radiator flushed, id change the fuel filter, change the shocks and struts, ummmm, and i guess just kick the tires...lol
Old 08-28-2006, 02:33 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

gotcha... any one have any opinions on any of this? i appreciate it, yall no ur shyt, i dont... yet.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:00 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

... any one?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:27 AM
65bluestang
1st Gear Member

the lock will come back up if you use the inside handle. take apart the fog light i had one that i put some bulb grease on and it worked fine, or just buy a new one, i doubt it is a wire gone bad. the speedo did that in my 85 and i couldnt figure it out just did it to like 15mph, normal on alot of those cars. take care of the drivetrain and ittl work fine.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:40 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ok, so w. the doors locked if i just pull hte inside handle itll unlock? i didnt know that and didnt want to chance getin my door stuck shut w. out knowin, lol. will gettin a diff speedo guage take care of that bouncy needle prob? i want to switch from the 85mph to the 140 or 160, will that fix it or is it something else causing it?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Shifty5.0
I ♥ Acer

hah my needle bounces too. never even thought about fixing it... just yea...
Old 08-29-2006, 03:19 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

it doesnt bother me a whole lot, but i wanna fix all my lil problems and its one of them.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:45 AM
ttoppedaerocoupe
2nd Gear Member

the fact that the key wont turn in your lock makes me think the tumbler froze and someone hit the lock button, making the linkage pop off. Put your ear to the door and press the lock button, if you hear a noise then the linkage/tumbler is messed up. If you dont hear the motor then your motor/tumbler is toast. Easiest thing? replace the tumbler on your doors and hatch, trunk, whatever you have.

as far as your foglight goes, check the obvious power to the socket, and we will go from there. If the light is ****ty and the socket is rusty, etc., do yourself a favor and replace it (ebay)

alex
Old 08-29-2006, 04:13 AM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

the door lock actuator is most likely bad cheap to fix but kinda a pain in the *** but you can do it just need a big revit and revit gun and new lock actuator

Quick Reply: just got car, have a few questions