5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Torque converter help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Torque converter help

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

So, what you guys are saying is that a non lockup converter is not good for the street? I am asking this because I am planning on running a Lentech AOD and Im almost positive that all of their converters are non lockup......

Will this be OK for the street? (302, all bolt ons except heads) 8-10psi, lentech aod, 3.90's, etc)
Well the thing to remember is that cruising under the stall speed for long periods of time can cause excessive heat build up. Even with a good trans cooler this can happpen. Please note that what I am talking about is a big stall (3000 rpm and up). What I don't understand is why you are going with a Lentech AOD, your car is not going to be making enough power that you need that much trans, a AODE that is built correctly will be fine, plus you can have the benifits of a lock up converter (less heat and going with a bigger stall).
Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

So what do you guys think about the whole non-lockup situation for a streetcar?

^^ post above.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

not a fan of non-lock up converters but if you run a good one it wont be that bad. there are tranny places that build performance aod's that lock. i heard tci does. if true im sure there will be others
Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

So, what you guys are saying is that a non lockup converter is not good for the street? I am asking this because I am planning on running a Lentech AOD and Im almost positive that all of their converters are non lockup......

Will this be OK for the street? (302, all bolt ons except heads) 8-10psi, lentech aod, 3.90's, etc)
Well the thing to remember is that cruising under the stall speed for long periods of time can cause excessive heat build up. Even with a good trans cooler this can happpen. Please note that what I am talking about is a big stall (3000 rpm and up). What I don't understand is why you are going with a Lentech AOD, your car is not going to be making enough power that you need that much trans, a AODE that is built correctly will be fine, plus you can have the benifits of a lock up converter (less heat and going with a bigger stall).
JD... How do you figure that I wouldnt be making enough power to use a lentech AOD? Lentech makes many different AOD trans's. I am going to get the street bruiser which is rated at 500hp. I am doing tw heads, street heat (yea i know manifold is small but i got it for $50 so im running it for now), custom grind, novi 1000 with powerpipe & 8' crank pulley (about 9psi), full exhaust and all the other bolt ons (tb, etc.) I am just getting the heads last. Why wouldnt I need a AOD? And why the hell would I put an AODE into a 93 Fox? I have never heard of someone doing that. Would I have to change all types of things to make that work? it doesnt seem worth it to me? Im going for the lentech street bruiser which is basically just a beefed up aod with a valve body... please explain your reasoning behind me getting an AODE [&:]
Old 08-30-2006, 04:59 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I am sorry I did not to type AODE, I meant a regular AOD, which is still a lock up. Honestly I don't feel your going to make 500 hp and the money could be spent elsewhere, but thats just my opinion. If the Lentech is not a lock up and you are using it as a daily driver (which I do not know) I think the heat build up will be than you would want. For what it's worth, since we are talking about overdrive trannys I can tell you that my 4000 rpm lock up stall in my car is as good as stock for every day driving, my car dynos at 393 rwhp and the trans is holding up fine (granted we are talking Ford vs GM here), but with a shift kit and new HD bands I think your AOD will live for a long time.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Ohhhhh OK ya see thats where I was confused! LoL I was like why the hell would I put an AOD in my car?!?

Anyway, no the car is not a DD by far. It will be a weekend cruiser. Also, with the setup that I am putting together I do plan on making close to 450rwhp and Im not soo sure that a stock AOD with upgraded bands will hold that. I dont want to waste my money on a rebuild if its not going to hold ya know. So you think a stock aod with a performance automatic rebuild kit or something would be ok with a valve body and shift kit?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:06 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

something like this and a valve body w/ shift kit?

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/performkits.htm
Old 08-30-2006, 05:37 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, I just got off the phone with performance automatic and the guy Bill said to get my AOD to handle 450rwhp this is what I would need.

Race Overhaul Kit: 470
Drum & Diod: 240
Valve Body: 235
Hardened Shaft: 250

Now thats about $1,200 dollars without shipping or installation. I could get the Lentech Street bruiser built for 500+ hp without any of the hassle for like $1800. I might save $100 bucks using MY tranny.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:12 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Well, I just got off the phone with performance automatic and the guy Bill said to get my AOD to handle 450rwhp this is what I would need.

Race Overhaul Kit: 470
Drum & Diod: 240
Valve Body: 235
Hardened Shaft: 250

Now thats about $1,200 dollars without shipping or installation. I could get the Lentech Street bruiser built for 500+ hp without any of the hassle for like $1800. I might save $100 bucks using MY tranny.
Hmm thats a lot cheaper than what I would have thought for a Lentech. Since it's not a DD I would not really worry about not having a lock up, I assumed you were going to drive the car daily. I gotta tell you, your screen name and your sig pic keep confusing me[8D]
Old 08-30-2006, 06:16 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Yea, its definetly not a DD so gas isnt TOO much of an issue. I mean, I want it to be streetable though ya know. I dont want to get no freakin 6-8 miles to the gallon though lol..

Yea, the lentech is only $1800 and for $2,300 you can get the trans plus a custom stall built by them for your car. Read this for me and let me know what you think. I would really appreciate that.

http://lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html

When you get to that link click "street bruiser". Thanks alot.

And w/ my user name... I also have a 88 Blue GT thats all stripped down right now (no motor, trans, interior, fenders, bumpers, etc. Right now Im just working on the body and getting it back together.... that will be my track car and this will be my weekend stang.

Quick Reply: Torque converter help