5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

before i start any mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 06:26 PM
lucky
1st Gear Member

Default before i start any mods

my mustang runs like a charm, you would never guess it has 144k miles.

but that being said.... would you still mod this 88GT with that kinda milage?
i guess i am THAT trailor park guy cause im low on funds and dont see that coming to an end soon, so i would be putting away moeny every month for my lil hobby. but i dont wanna do it if its too late for my pony
Old 06-27-2004, 06:46 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default RE: before i start any mods

get the motor checked out by somebody you trust and who knows what theyre doing. if they say its fine, mod it. if not, if u got the $$ u can always buy a new block if u NEED one, or just buy a rebuild kit from Summit or Jegs, or somewhere like that.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:31 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

depending on how soon it will be till you rebuild it, you could do 2 major things. if you are extremely confident that your engine is solid, then start the intake/exhaust stuff. start with headers, o/r x- or h-pipe, cat-back, cold air intake, intake manifold, convert to mass air, etc. if it might go soon and you want performance, but you want to be sure that the engine will last, either rebuild the 302 with some internal performance parts (ie high compression pistons, cam, stroker kit, etc) or do what im doing!!!!! one EASY way to get tons of power for a little bit of money is to swap in a 351W. you can rebuild the engine w/ pistons and cam and swap the engine in for about $1750 (if you do all the work urself). that will give you about 400 lbs/ft of torque!!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:13 PM
lucky
1st Gear Member

lol, dude i paid $50 on a chevy 305. that was 2 yrs ago and its sitting on the side of my garage in peices waiting to go to the recycling center. im not laughing at you. im laughing at me. that was a desaster(sp?) anyway im scared to take apart a good running cars engine in fear that it will end up the same way[X(]
ORIGINAL: mkspeed26

depending on how soon it will be till you rebuild it, you could do 2 major things. if you are extremely confident that your engine is solid, then start the intake/exhaust stuff. start with headers, o/r x- or h-pipe, cat-back, cold air intake, intake manifold, convert to mass air, etc. if it might go soon and you want performance, but you want to be sure that the engine will last, either rebuild the 302 with some internal performance parts (ie high compression pistons, cam, stroker kit, etc) or do what im doing!!!!! one EASY way to get tons of power for a little bit of money is to swap in a 351W. you can rebuild the engine w/ pistons and cam and swap the engine in for about $1750 (if you do all the work urself). that will give you about 400 lbs/ft of torque!!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Mileage...
Welp my car has anywhere from 120k-144k
Mileage is very screwy due to tires, and rear end gears.
But anyways.
Just get the top end crap done, if you're scared of the block.
You could always transfer the top end crap over to the new engine very easily
And it's easy bolt ons.

Like I said my car has about your mileage, and runs strong as hell.
Currently getting 260RWHP and running a 75 shot of nitrous.
So I'm prolly around 320RWHP with the nitrous
Old 06-27-2004, 09:33 PM
lucky
1st Gear Member

sweet, thanx for all your input
Old 06-28-2004, 07:38 AM
diablo9861
2nd Gear Member

obsolete what do u have done to your stang other than the nitrous???? how much is it to get a dyno to test my HP before i do anythign to mine if you might know???? thanks alot
Old 06-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

List of mods are as follows:

Current mods:
[ul][*] 4.10 Gears[*] Ford B303 Cam:
. 397-M-6250-B303 Duration': 224°/224° @ .050'
. Lift: .480'/.480' [*] Steeda Aluminum Underdrive Pulleys[*] Edelbrock Performer Intake(1500-6500)[*] 24# Injectors[*] N.O.S. 75 Dry Shot[*] Pro-M Bullet 75mm MAF for 24# Injectors[*] Accufab 70mm TB[*] Edelbrock 70mm EGR Spacer[*] Chrome Breather Valve[*] BBK Fenderwell CAI[*] BBK 1 3/4" Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers[*] BBK 2.5" Shorty H Pipe w/ High Flow Cats[*] Flowmaster 40 Series Mufflers[*] Eibach Pro-kit Springs - Lowered 1.5"[*] Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter[*] MSD Pro-Billet Distributor[*] AC Delete Kit[*] Smog Removed
[/ul]

That got me 260RWHP WITHOUT the nitrous
I've yet to get it dyno'd with it
A dyno can range anywhere from say on average 50-70 bux for 3 pulls...
Where I live it's only 50.

But you're going to want them to dyno tune your car as well, so you're making maximum power out of your setup
Old 06-28-2004, 08:57 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

is that ALL u got ?? i mean, c'mon. haha. just messin w/ you man. car sounds sweet. bet it runs REAL good. i mean, mine runs good, and mines damn near completely stock. so, i bet yours runs REAL good. bet its a BLAST to drive !!!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:58 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

btw........u get the parts and have the work done(by yourself or a shop), or was it a "ready-made" and all u did was buy it and drive it ???

Quick Reply: before i start any mods