5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch problems

Why wouldnt a clutch disengage fully?
Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch problems

Your cable is stretched and needs to be adjusted. It's suposed to adjust on it's own, but the Ford adjuster notoriously breaks; which is why the aftermarket makes beefy aluminum pieces that are user adjustable.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Actually, you may be able to adjust your clutch cable manually. Get up under the dash, and put your finger on the hooked part of your quadrant. Then push the clutch pedal down with your other hand. As you let the pedal back up, push the bottom of the quadrant upward, against the force of the pedal returning. If you push it the quadrant hard enough as the pedal returns upward, you'll hear a click. Try to only get one click, as two will probable be too much. You may have to physically pull the clutch pedal back up, if your holding the quadrant hard enough. After it clicks, your pedal action should be a little higher, allowing the clutch to fully disengage. If your pedal action becomes high enough, yet the clutch still doesn't fully disengage, you may have a clutch problem. Let us know if it works.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

well i had an idea what the clutch quadrant looks like bt damn theres so much **** under the dash i dont think i can see it.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

so how do i do this? i push the clutch pedal down and put my finger on the "hook" part of the quadrant and then release or pull on the clutch pedal until i hear a click.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

You're supposed to be able to just pull up on the pedal and then push it down to adjust it. That's how it's desighned to work anyway. If there is slack, you will hear the plastic "paws" ratchet.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

well ive pulled up on the pedal pretty car before. i feel like im gonna brake somethin
Old 09-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

alright well i fixed it =D i dunno what happened to my clutch when that guy hit it but i fixed the problem =D it'll go into reverse and all now.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:25 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

dude, what exactly did u do to fix it? mine is havin the same prob i think, it disengages but only all the way at the floor and not as much as i think it should... so can some one step by step me on how to get it to adjust? i know yall already said how to do it, but im still a little unclear... thanks guys.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Check your other post, Dimebag. Your right, Pro, it is supposed to adjust by pulling up on the pedal. However, I did this many times, but was never able to get a click or change anything. Then I read this: http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

I did exactly what the article said to, and it worked beautifully. Before, I had to push the pedal deep into the carpet, and even then it would barely disengage. Now, it disengages about an inch off of the floor. Good luck, Dimebag.

Quick Reply: Clutch problems