5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Manual Valve Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Default Manual Valve Body

I already have a shift kit, but I'm wanting to manually shift it also. I was thinking of going with the Lentech Street Terminator. With the Street Terminator I will be able to manually shift it and I can leave it in drive and it will shift all by itself like a regular AOD right? They have 3 different calibrations, so which one would you recomend?

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodproducts.html#
Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual Valve Body

Trans lab is good Talk to Dean he's the owner you can email him at deanmason@juno.com
Old 09-04-2006, 12:20 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is that any different than your everyday AODE tranny with a shift kit? That's no different than what I can do with mine. I can shift 1-2-D or I can simply leave it in D if I want it to shift automatically. It will stay in 1 or 2 unless I shift it myself. To make it a bit easier I got a ratchet shifter just to make sure I don't accidentally skip over a gear when shifting up and down. Unless I'm missing something, this valve body wouldn't change a thing in an AODE tranny with a shift kit.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:12 AM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Do you guys think I would be alright if I put a manual valve body on a 136,000 mile transmission?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:42 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is that any different than your everyday AODE tranny with a shift kit? That's no different than what I can do with mine. I can shift 1-2-D or I can simply leave it in D if I want it to shift automatically. It will stay in 1 or 2 unless I shift it myself. To make it a bit easier I got a ratchet shifter just to make sure I don't accidentally skip over a gear when shifting up and down. Unless I'm missing something, this valve body wouldn't change a thing in an AODE tranny with a shift kit.
A trans with a manual VB will shift faster and harder than your regular AOD with a shift kit. As far as I know once you to a full manual VB the trans will not ever shift by itself. If you put it in 3rd at a dead stop the car will take off in 3rd.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969
A trans with a manual VB will shift faster and harder than your regular AOD with a shift kit. As far as I know once you to a full manual VB the trans will not ever shift by itself. If you put it in 3rd at a dead stop the car will take off in 3rd.
That's very true with a full manual valve body...but the valve body he is talking about is not full manual. So it will still act as a normal automatic when in D. I can't imagine it shifting harder and faster than it already does for me, but I guess it's possible. I just don't see the benefit in switching to it over what he already has.

If he were to go full manual, then it would make sense. But this seems like nothing but a fancy shift kit.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:21 AM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

I have a AOD so I really can't really shift it manually like you can with a AODE. If I am right the street terminator will let me shift it whenever I want or I can leave it in drive and let it shift itself.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:39 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Ahh...forgot about the limitations of the AOD. It's been so long since I've had a mustangwith an AOD that I got used to the newer style. Guess I should have checked your sig to see the car first to know that it wouldnt have the AODE. Yes, it sounds like the street terminator will allow you to do what you want it to do.

**edit** reading it again...it sounds like it basically turns the AOD into an AODE with a shift kit (complete with electric OD delete.) You should be happy with the results. But i highly recommend a ratchet-style shifter if you're going to shift manually.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:47 AM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

Do you think the B&M hammer shifter would work good? They're $200 from summit but I found some on ebay for for $190.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:52 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackLX

Do you think the B&M hammer shifter would work good? They're $200 from summit but I found some on ebay for for $190.
**points to my sig**

I bought mine on eBay too. Absolutely LOVE it and it's relatively easy to install. It looks nice and feels great. Here's a few pics of what it looks like installed in my car. **ignore the stains on the floor mats**

Quick Reply: Manual Valve Body