5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Good heads for a budget build

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:32 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default Good heads for a budget build

Im thinking my head gaskets might be bad due to a burning coolant issue so Im thinking that if I have to take the heads off anyway Id like to put some better ones on instead of the stock ones.

What would be some fairly cheap heads? I dont really want to spend much more than $500 on a set. Used doesnt matter to me.

Ive heard of swapping to 289 heads and I think Explorer heads but what are the benefits of those?
What would I need to look for?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good heads for a budget build

I am in the process of a budget upgrade. I got some gt40p heads for around 400, brandnew off ebay. But you might as well do a cam and intake with the heads too. The cam isnt too much work to get to once the heads are off. The gt40p heads are off explorers. They are only certain years, but i'm not too possitive of those years off hand.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Twister
5th Gear Member

the problem with P's is the special headers that are needed and they do not have the smog port on the back
Old 09-06-2006, 12:19 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

I have an Edelbrock Performer intake and Ford Racing headers.
A cam is in the near future. I might just get one if its easier to do it all at once.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:21 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Used gt40ps are the way to go if you dont need to pass smog. a lot of shorty headers will work with them but you gotta wrap your plug wires.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

There are a few nice sets of heads floating around on ebay for $800, and they are aluminum too.

go on ebay and search under parts and accessories/car&truck/engines and components/cylinder heads and type in SBF
then look for the set for $799
Old 09-06-2006, 01:39 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

No answers, Peanut Jutter and Belly, but I do have a question. You say that your motor is burning coolant. What signs do you have that coolant is being burned? White smoke, or just a low coolant level? I ask because I was wondering if a motor could be burning coolant without producing white smoke. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:47 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Im not sure if theres smoke or not- I cant see any when driving but theres definately a smell of burnt coolant and the level goes down sometimes.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NegadivOne

Used gt40ps are the way to go if you dont need to pass smog. a lot of shorty headers will work with them but you gotta wrap your plug wires.
Just a visual on '95 and older here. Most places wont even look for emissions crap like that.
Is there a special wrap for the wires somewhere?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:51 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

There are a few nice sets of heads floating around on ebay for $800, and they are aluminum too.

go on ebay and search under parts and accessories/car&truck/engines and components/cylinder heads and type in SBF
then look for the set for $799
They look good.

How do I tell what size valves, etc is good for my car? I have the stock cam for now (want to change) and Im not too familiar with cam and valve, etc specs.

The motor is stock internally now.

Quick Reply: Good heads for a budget build