5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how can I pass Emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

Default how can I pass Emissions?

I recently bought an 85 w/ 92 conversion it has a mild cam and Mac shorty headers w/ an off road x-pipe and a set of mufflers not sure brand on those. the vapor canister and smog pump are gone and EGR isn't hooked up. I'm just wondering how I can jimmy something to make it pass emissions cheap cuz of course w/e goes on is comming back off. oh and also for some reason the wires to the 02 sensors are cut but doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car and doesn't show on the engine codes.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:18 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how can I pass Emissions?

wow... good luck...smog pump will prolly be needed, egr ima say ull need, deff will need cats... its gonna be some work man. im srue someone on here can give you a more exact answer.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

well here in MA smog isn't an issue so I'm hopping i can get away w/o it
Old 09-07-2006, 01:22 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Definetly need cats, have someone weld in an extra set of cats also. Then just swap the catted pipe back out when you get it tested. youll need the smog also.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:24 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Really all you need is cats. Egr and smog pump really don't affect emissions that much.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

I have a feeling I'm not gonna get a sticker lol. is there a universal cat that I can buy and weld into a cheap x/h-pipe?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:27 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

You can go to the junkyard and pull the 4 cat setup off a 5.0 mustang and it will bolt directly up to shorty headers.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Id say youll need the smog pump also. Theyre pretty strict from what I hear. I cam will usually screw you I believe. Definely need cats and smog.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Sk8trfred
2nd Gear Member

I didnt' even know that stock stangs came w/ 4 cats lol whut years did they?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sk8trfred

I recently bought an 85 w/ 92 conversion it has a mild cam and Mac shorty headers w/ an off road x-pipe and a set of mufflers not sure brand on those. the vapor canister and smog pump are gone and EGR isn't hooked up. I'm just wondering how I can jimmy something to make it pass emissions cheap cuz of course w/e goes on is comming back off. oh and also for some reason the wires to the 02 sensors are cut but doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car and doesn't show on the engine codes.
Get some decent cats, and USE them. The power loss is insignificant with current technology. Also, current cats don't all require the use of an air pump.
Check out Magnaflow cats at Sumitt or similar store.
A 2.5" non air cat won't be to tough to find. You will only need 2 of them, unless you have a tester that does a visual (not very likely).
Then find a shop to weld them into your midpipe. Don't waste your time and money buying/installing a second non emissions midpipe.

The EGR will help more than others seem to think. The EGR system will greatly reduce the NOx ouput. Make sure it is hooked up and working properly.
Having the EGR functional will not reduce WOT power, so there really is no reason to disable the system.
Actually, the EGR can improve fuel economy as well as lower NOx.

You will have to sort out the cut wires on the O2's as well. Without the O2's the car is constantly running in Open Loop, which is slightly rich.

It seems that most emissions tests are there just to make sure the engine is in good order and all the emissions stuff is there and functional.
However, you may still have trouble passing, depending on the cam specs.

Good Luck,
jason

Quick Reply: how can I pass Emissions?