5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 AM
musclekid
1st Gear Member

Default Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

I am going to be installing Dry Nitrous kits into my mustang and I need to know some things:

-Where can I get nitrous shots and how much do each cost (50, 100, or 150)?
-Can I install nitrous shots safely and easily by myself after the nitrous kit is installed?
-What is the most preferred amount of nitrous shot: 50, 100, or 150?
-Should I install the nitrous kit myself or pay a professional mechanic to install it?

All help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM
musclekid
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots

Anyone?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:24 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I'm not very familiar with actually installing nitrous, never done it before, but here is a link that has a bunch of info, when the page opens scroll down to nitroud section and there a bunch of info, i'd also suggest posting this thread in the pipes, boost, juice section, those boys are real good when it comes to these systems.

http://www.holley.com/TechService/Library.asp
Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Check your other post, stay away from the dry kits, yes they are cheaper, but not good for the engine and you will have more room for running your mill lean. Stick with a wet kit, and retard timing 2 degrees for every 50lb's.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TwotoneVert

Check your other post, stay away from the dry kits, yes they are cheaper, but not good for the engine and you will have more room for running your mill lean. Stick with a wet kit, and retard timing 2 degrees for every 50lb's.
Wet kits involve more. Dry kits are safe and easy. As long as you keep everthing up to par. Like keeping her thirst for fuel quenched or Kaboom!

Ever install an amplifier? Kind of similar except you do most of your connections under the hood and not in the dash.

But I would read up alot on it before you make your desiscion because NOS can kill....your car that is.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:16 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pure5.0

ORIGINAL: TwotoneVert

Wet kits involve more. Dry kits are safe and easy. As long as you keep everthing up to par. Like keeping her thirst for fuel quenched or Kaboom!

Ever install an amplifier? Kind of similar except you do most of your connections under the hood and not in the dash.

But I would read up alot on it before you make your desiscion because NOS can kill....your car that is.
this is a pretty big debate anywhere you look, but I disagree with staying away from dry kits......ESPECIALLY in musclekids case. dry kits are a lot more user friendly to install and if you are worried about lean conditions, you can look into a ZEX dry nitrous setup that monitors lean.rich conditions and adjusts the spray as neccessary (kind of almost in a progressive way). Wet kits DO involve waaaay more setup and tuning, so if you are only looking to spray 50-150hp shot, a dry nitrous will serve you way better use. and btw, most nitrous kits come with the jetting that is described in their hp ratings (i.e. a 75-100hp nitrous kit will come with 75 thru 100 hp jets.)
Old 09-07-2006, 01:29 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musclekid

I am going to be installing Dry Nitrous kits into my mustang and I need to know some things:

-Can I install nitrous shots safely and easily by myself after the nitrous kit is installed?
-Should I install the nitrous kit myself or pay a professional mechanic to install it?

1) you can buy nitrous kits almost anywhere - a good place to look for variety is JEGS and Summit, a good place to look for deals is flea bay. For dry nitrous, expect to pay between $450-500+, wet kits vary depending on your application (my wet NOS Cheater kit costs about ~500). You can also buy nitrous jets in different sizes through the same providers. Some good nitrous providers are: NOS, Zex, Edelbrock, NitrousExpress, and DynoTune.org

2) Installing nitrous is fairly simple. It takes a few basic tools and about 3+ hours for dry kits. Wet kits can take a few more hours....again, dependent on your setup. For dry kits, the nitrous jets fit into the base of the spray nozzle that injects the N2o into the intact tract. Yes, it is fairly simple to switch out jets on a dry kit.

3) AGAIN, dependent on yout setup, any of those #'s could be ideal. I base suggestions off of a stock setup because I've seen a stock 5.0 that can run all day long on a feasible amount of nitrous. For stock applications, I would not go any higher than a 100 or 125 shot. You can easily notice power gains with as little as a 75 shot.

4) Install it yourself! It's easy and a mechanics shop will probably jew you for labor being that it sounds like you don't know a whole lot about what is involved with installing nitrous yet.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

ORIGINAL: musclekid

1) you can buy nitrous kits almost anywhere - a good place to look for variety is JEGS and Summit, a good place to look for deals is flea bay. For dry nitrous, expect to pay between $450-500+, wet kits vary depending on your application (my wet NOS Cheater kit costs about ~500). You can also buy nitrous jets in different sizes through the same providers. Some good nitrous providers are: NOS, Zex, Edelbrock, NitrousExpress, and DynoTune.org

2) Installing nitrous is fairly simple. It takes a few basic tools and about 3+ hours for dry kits. Wet kits can take a few more hours....again, dependent on your setup. For dry kits, the nitrous jets fit into the base of the spray nozzle that injects the N2o into the intact tract. Yes, it is fairly simple to switch out jets on a dry kit.

3) AGAIN, dependent on yout setup, any of those #'s could be ideal. I base suggestions off of a stock setup because I've seen a stock 5.0 that can run all day long on a feasible amount of nitrous. For stock applications, I would not go any higher than a 100 or 125 shot. You can easily notice power gains with as little as a 75 shot.

4) Install it yourself! It's easy and a mechanics shop will probably jew you for labor being that it sounds like you don't know a whole lot about what is involved with installing nitrous yet.

Great explanation and advice. I just have one quick question dealing with Nitrous Wet System. I read some where (I'm thinking it was a Stang Mag Tech Article) that there was a place on the 5.0 where you could run the fuel line for your wet kit, I'm thinking it said on the fuel rail or fuel pressure regulator. They said a the fuel line for a wet kit would hook right into it, but it was supposed to be for a fuel pressure gauge. Any info on this or am i wrong?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:42 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

I am not sure if there is a spot for a guage on the rails or not, but really any available spot to "T" into the fuel line will work for supplying fuel to a wet kit. Remember a BIG key to wet nitrous kits is that now that you are dealing with additional fuel when it comes time to juice it, you're going to need a fuel pump that can handle the additional demand. It's usually a good idea to upgrade pumps if you are using a wet kit that is jetting above 125-150 hp.

This (kind of) goes for the same case with dry kits. people will say that dry kits run the risk of going lean because the nitrous isn't being complimented by additional fuel (like in wet kits), but if you run a better fuel pump with a dry kit you're taking care of that problem.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:50 PM
81ponycar
2nd Gear Member

all i am saying is get the wet shot not the dry shot. the dry shot is way way harder on the motor. i dont think a stock 5.0 can even handle a dry shot.

Quick Reply: Dry Nitrous Kits / Shots