5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

a wird question for ya

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:29 PM
highwayinthesky

Default a wird question for ya

hey guys and gals this is my first post(go me!) anyway i will give you all a bit of background on my current project. i am a rx7 nut case, i love these cars and plan on owning one till they kill me or untell i am broke, whatever comes first. also i am born into a ford family and have always been a fan of some ford products like the mustang, gt40 and gt, aswell as other odd ***** like the ford powered Pantara, and the daytona coupe of the 60's. anyway enough about me cause i am in a bit of a crunch for time.

i am in the middle of swapping a 5.0l from an 89gt mustang into my 88 rx7(sounds like a lot of work, it is) i have the motor placed in the engine bay as well as the tranny(t5) bolted in but i have ran into a problem. the end of the water pump with out the fan on it is about .25inche away from my rad. also the alternator is mounted to high on the passenger side of the motor and i dont think that it will clear the hood. so i need to find a shorter accessory set up that will give me enough room for a fan and to clear the rad. i will not be running any power steering cause the mazda doesnt have it, also the ac is not needed and the smop pump is gone(i love alberta!). i have lots of room around the sides of the motor at the front and good clearance all around the rest of the motor and tranny. i have heard that the accessorys on a 5.0l t-bird(i dont know what years) are shorter as well as the accessorys on the 5.0l sn95's, is this true and if so witch one is shorter? i NEED the room. i also have an 84 lincon mark7 in the garage that i can molest for parts if anything would be of use.

help out a odd ball 5.0l guy with this so i can have a 5.0lrx7. input and insight is always welcome and hope to have some help with this soon.

on a side note, moving the engine is not an option cause i have just enough room around the steering rack and the front sump(i can fit a penny around it, that is it). also is there any dubble sump pan that has a smaller front sump so i have a bit more room, or will this require a little "tlc" with a hammer?

thanks again and i hope to here from you guys soon.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: a wird question for ya

electric water pump

and make a custom bracket to mount the alternator down where the
smog pump was.
s/c kits for these engines relocate the alternator down below the smog pump all the time.

you'll have to make a custom bracket but shouldnt be too hard to do.

or try and find an s/c bracket to copy that moves the alternator, vortech or Novi1000 bracket would move it
for you
Old 09-07-2006, 12:37 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

^ +1 on electric water pump, and location, on a side note why an rx7? why?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:33 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

With most passenger side mount superchargers for the 5.0 they relocate the alternator down (like r barn said), but if I were you I would just call up Paxton or Vortech and tell them you need this bracket. Im pretty sure they will sell it to ya, or you can just make your own if your willing....
Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 PM
highwayinthesky

i thank you guys for the input, but will an electric water pump flow well enough to cool the car in stop and go traffic? and to answer the question of why a rx7 all i say is you fox body guys dream of mustangs that handle great, i started with a car that handles great, also have 4.10 factory lsd,stoping power to through you out of your seat, and the car looks so good.

what are your views on pusher fans? will a good pusher fan move enough air to cool the motor? with a rotory i would have never ever though of a pusher fan cause it couldnt do the job but that was with a rotory not a 5.0l. amy one use a pusher fan?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:18 PM
leadfootdriver
2nd Gear Member

'A 302 in a RX7...

You're a mad man.

I envy you.