5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Found some GT40s for pretty cheap..opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Found some GT40s for pretty cheap..opinions?

Ok so a guy on corral is selling some GT40s off his 95 cobra for $330. I'm thinking about going for it. Here are some pictures:

This is what concerns me. Are these broken bolts? How hard would they be to remove?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:59 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Found some GT40s for pretty cheap..opinions?

i could get those bolts out, but ive had to to that crap before. you would more then likely want to bring them to a machine shop anyway to have then pressure checked, decked and cleaned, so have them do the bolts also.

If you must do it yourself, you will need an oxy/acetalyne torch and a vise grip.... i would advise against trying to do this without a torch.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:02 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

So go for it or no? I plan on taking them to a machine shop (if I buy them) to have them cleaned up really well anyway. Whats it mean to have heads decked and pressure checked?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:06 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

pressure checked means just that. they check them to make sure they are not cracked or damaged

decked means they sit them on a milling machine and remove a small amount of metal from the surface of the head, this will not only clean up the mounting surface where the head meets the block, but it will assure you that the heads are straight, and will also make for a better seal with the head gasket
Old 09-11-2006, 02:07 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Makes me weary to buy them if they could be cracked or something like it. The guy lives an hour from me so I could go look before I buy. What should I look for?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:13 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

dude... your apprently new at this. ANY head that is used can be potantially damaged. thats why you bring them to a machine shop.

If its that big of a deal, spend $800 and buy a set of the newly released Renegade heads. They are based on the 185cc AFR head and are quite similar. cept they are ported a little bigger to 190cc
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I am new at this. I just can't afford a set of aluminums. I'll look into the renegade heads. I'm still considering a set of Thumper E7's with GT40 valves.

Can you provide a link to the renegade heads?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Renegade heads

I have made my fair share of mistakes when it comes to building engines, and i have made it a point to learn from those mistakes. ANY time i remove heads from a car... they ALWAYS go to a machine shop to get checked/decked. If i were to pull my GT-40 irons off tomorrow, i would send them out and have them checked/decked... even though i know my car runs fine, there could be a small problem that does not amount to anything right now, but could cause an issue later. and the machine shop could potentially see that fault in my equipment.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Okay, thanks. I'll go take a look at them and see what they're like (the used GT40s, that is).
Old 09-11-2006, 01:17 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

I offered the seller $275 for them and he accepted. He said he's confident that they'll pass a pressure test, he said they were in good working order when they were pulled, he just took them off to put on some AFRs for more power. I'm probably going to buy them. Opinions?

Quick Reply: Found some GT40s for pretty cheap..opinions?