5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
XXC
3rd Gear Member

Default Story

Hey all, I was just wondering what you guys think about my story on my car... Here goes.

One day I was browsing auto trader and I saw the ad, for a 1985 Mustang GT...So I opened it up, and checked it out.

It was listed for $6500 and had 38,000 miles on it.

They said in the ad that the car ran 11.9 in the 1/4th... so I got extremely exited... I mean $6500 for 11.9... I was shocked. So I called up and talked to the guy and he ensured me the car ran that time, and had tons of modifications. I had to wait 2 weeks for the kid to get back from vacation to look at the car... So I waited, and then met up with him. I looked at the car, looked clean... good condition.

This is the pic I took when I was looking at the car:

That’s what the engine looked like the day I looked at it.

At the time I was exited about getting my first car... I knew about them, but not a whole lot really... And I'm extremely gullible... if you told me your car ran 10's in a convincing voice, I'd believe you... that’s just how I am...

Well, I got the car... drove it for a while, seemed awesome, seemed insanely quick... I enjoyed it allot, turned tons of heads...

First problem happened... Started FELL out of the car... so I said ok... not to much of a problem, bought a brand new one... put it in.

Seconded problem... the MSD Box, was wired under the seat, so moving it back and forth... seemed to touch some wires, and fried the box... ok bought a new one..

Third problem... carbarator decides to screw up... spent couple days adjusting, cleaning, fixing it.

Fourth problem... Brakes decided to just go out when I'm driving around 60 on the highway on traffic... nice huh? Got a new brake system, bled all the brakes. Fixed.

Fifth problem... Drove it one time, hit 2nd gear... Something came loose in the rear end or something, everytime I hit the gas there’s a hard Knocking noise under the car) Sounds like something came loose.

Now...

I decided to roll up to a car show, and a whole bunch of people were talking **** about the car, and they "knew the original people who worked on the car" ect... and told me the motor that did run the 11.9 in the 1/4th was blown up, and replaced with this motor, the car orignally had trick flow heads, ect.. All the work done, they replaced the block and just slapped on the headers and said it had all the **** done to it still...

I found the car was originally in an accident... nothing major, but some body damage. The replaced the doors, and hatch with an 89+, and bonded all the rust spots or holes on the body, and painted over the rust and what not...

The kid who sold me the car told me a different story everytime I called him.

For sure in the car atm I know is:
-bbk shorty headers
-E303 cam
-4:10 gears
-Holley 750 (yes I know it’s to big... come with the p.o.s car)
-Steeda Short Throw Shifter
-Rpm Intake
-BeCool Radiator and fans system
-MSD system (which I had to replace)
-Nitto 555R radials, which are worn to **** now.
-Ford Racing Valve Covers

I am going to moroso on Friday to see what the car runs, I mean the car is still fast... I can take allot of people.

Here are some pics of the car...

From far the car looks amazing, but if you get up close you can see how the trunk hatch doesn’t match up exactly... Some runs in the paint.

It was my dream car... wich turned out to crush my dreams... I'm a very nice person... I don't do anything to anyone... I don't do drink... drugs... or anything. I don't deserve to be treated like crap... people are all telling me my cars slow... and ****. It's starting to get to me and I was getting ready to just drive the car into the river... and I'm not joking, theres a road here where it drops straigt into a river.

I get depressed real easy, and all I care about is cars... espically old muslce cars... its all I been about since I was little... I admit I jumped in this car before I researched it... I thought people are honest and wouldn’t do this kind of ****... but I thought real wrong.

I'm just so upset I don't know what to do...People suck...Thanks for reading...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Story

Sorry to here about your bad news man.
But you should always do your research before buying a car.
1st thing I would ask was why was it repainted with only 38,000 miles.
That was a red flag.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
XXC
3rd Gear Member

Yeah man, I mean it's not just the money, it's just I love the car.. and everythings making me hating it lately..

If I tried to sell I'd loose alot of money.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
90gt831
1st Gear Member

DAMN THAT SUCKS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, KINDA BUT NT AS BAD.. i was looking for a foxbady for a long time after many letdowns i finnaly found a 1990 gt all stock(like i wanted) interior was good like i wanted.. the man said that the car had 40,000 ended up having 104,0oo he messed with the odom.. then i found out the car wasnt cleean title it was salvaged, and the front driver side was tottaly f*** under the perfect fender, the door wasnt original, and a whole lot of other crap....ect... bottom line i fell in love with it and couldnt let it go i had some offers.. so i spend more than the car cost me to get it gto run straight again.. so your not the only one these thiings happen all the time some people are just faul and do things like that...i feel you man.. when im done fixing it up ioma take it right back to the guy and watch him drool.. haha
Old 09-14-2006, 10:37 AM
sgt50
1st Gear Member

Don't get yourself down. Life is one big learining experience. You have a nice care. Some people would kill to have that car. Something you can do is continue to fix all of the little things and learn from it. Before you know it, your car will be just the way you want it. As long as it burns the tires and gets side ways and kills the Slomaro's, that's all that really matters in the Mustang world. You will have the rest of your life to build a 11 sec engine. By the way, you would be surprised how many cars look good from 15 ft away and then you get a little closer and you see small things that other people don't notice. Have fun and enjoy the Stang.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

Hey man, sorry to hear about your run through with lairs. It happens to everyone. It makes you wonder if there are any truthfull people left in this world. Which, by the way, there is. You have an amazing looking car. I bet it is not exactly a slouch either. Alot of people would have to take a ride in it. These guys that are telling you how your car is a pos, what do they drive? If it is anything at all, I bet they don't get near the thumbs up you do. Remember your part of a group of people here that understand the blood and sweat that has to go into these cars. Man, you even got a four eyes front end. Editor's note(I have an 86 and love the front end). You keep on truckin with your stang and show the world what a mustang can really do. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

My girlfriends son was looking at an '03 GT... He asked me to go take a look at it with him... Had a knocking rod and unstable valve train... We told him no, the guy dropped $2k off the price on the spot... The next day, the guy called and dropped another $2.5k off... Needless to say, the guy got ripped off when he bought it, now he was looking to pass it on...

Anyway, you got a nice looking car with lots of possibilities... Don't get down about it... Look at it this way, you got a car thats set up to run high 11's, that's half the battle... Setting up the suspension is just as important as having a big motor, ecspecially when your getting into those kind of times... Build a motor... Have fun with it and enjoy it!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:58 AM
PJB
5th Gear Member

When I bought my first truck ('87 Ranger) when I was 16 in '98 the guy I bought it from said it had a new paint job and that it was never hit.
I ended up hearing from several people that they remember the guy hitting shopping carts in parking lots for fun (probably why it had a new grille) and one told me he was in the truck when it got rearended hard and needed a new bed and how the owner collected more insurance money than the truck was worth and just put a new bed on it.

The paint job ended up being spray paint and the bodywork was horrible and started to crack after a short time and looked pretty bad. He had Bondoed over the holes for the big double post mirrors and put on small sport mirrors.

He also lied when he told me it was his uncle's truck before him and that it only had 50k original miles. After a while I realized that it probably had atleast 150k, if not 250k. His father even backed up his lies when he sold it to me.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:05 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

That sucks man. As much as you want to trust people you are buying a car off of you really cant! If you think thats bad... when I baught my 88 GT. The guy told me all this crap about the car yadda yadda yadda it was a great car bla bla bla. I baught the car IN THE DARK!! Thats how in love I was (it was actually the first 5.0 I had seen in person.. I was only 15 btw). Well, I baught the car.. get it home and the tranny is slipping all over the place (auto), half the wiring is ripped ou, the interior was replaced and put in with wood screws, etc. I found corks from a bottle holding in the door panels, the wiring under the dash was half ripped apart, every wire on the entire car had been spliced somewhere, the main bracket for the dash was actually being held on by two screws, no radio, motor ran DECENT but still had problems, he told me it had head work done and it didnt, etc. etc. THAN I said f*ck this and took it to a backyard mechanic some people recommended. All in one shot I put a new motor in it, throttle body, cai, pulleys, radiator, rebuild tranny, 2800 stall, mac longtubes, mac prochamber, new steering column, new oil pan, new gaskets for new motor, new motor mounts, new tranny mounts, new dipstick, etc. The guy had my car for almost three months and wouldnt give it back... i told him if i didnt have the car in two days I was going to the cops. Well, in those two days he did ALL the work and half assed everything. I ended up having to tear the ENTIRE CAR DOWN and thats where it lays today. In my backyard under a tent with no motor, tranny, interior, fenders, bumpers, doors, etc. So basically, from all the money I have into it I have a 10 thousand dollar roller... [:@] But one day its going to get a 418W, AFR 225's, C4, etc. The works.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:29 PM
XXC
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about all you guys to.. yeah I mean people just suck, not to much else to say... Honesty isan't a trait in todays world. Yeah I'm just going to drive my car how it is, and eventually maybe fix it up, if not get another fox. 85' is the year I fell in love with though.

I might just swap out the motor with a badass one, and call it even.

Quick Reply: Story