5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Volumetric Efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:30 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Volumetric Efficiency

I have been reading the article "Inside The Black Box, Part 1) in the new MM&FF and they keep on talking about VE. Can someone explain this to me? Im getting lost in the article trying to understand this...

By the way, anyone who has an EFI Mustang should read this article... about three times Im learned a GREAT deal of information in the past 1/2 hour... stuff I thought that I would never know.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Volumetric Efficiency

is that in the latest issue, i'm thinking of switching from 5.0 Mustangs and Fast Fords to Muscle Mustangs any thoughts on the two mag's.... 5.0 seems like a classified section for parts dealers and a '05 mustang tech book lately....
Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Ve is a ratio of how much air is entering your cylinder/the total volume of the cylinder. The lower the ratio, or higher the percentage, the better the motor. I belive adding a supercharger or a turbo makes the ve over a 1/1 ratio, which is very effecient in making power. hope this helps, and if im wrong somewhere in there someone please correct me
Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

I still haven't recieved my Mag. This is the second time I have seen a thread on this article!
I'm starting to feel like the poor kid who can't afford the cool G.I. JOE's. All I have is some crappy knock-off.
[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

The above post is right on the definition.
However, with intake runner tuning, it is possible to get over 100% VE on an N/A motor as well.

jason
Old 09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

So if you have 100% VE that basically means that your cylinder gets completly filled with air?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:54 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

is that in the latest issue, i'm thinking of switching from 5.0 Mustangs and Fast Fords to Muscle Mustangs any thoughts on the two mag's.... 5.0 seems like a classified section for parts dealers and a '05 mustang tech book lately....
I like both BUT it seems that lately MM&FF has more information on 05+ stangs than anything else... its still a good magazine though.

And vristang... I am in the process of typing out the article right now to hopefully make it a sticky. It might come up on the website though hopefully so there can be some pictures, etc. Its a LONG article though so give me some time.... it will be up by the end of the day though.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:56 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

So if you have 100% VE that basically means that your cylinder gets completly filled with air?
Not just air, fuel a mixture of air and gas or nitrous or ethonol, whatever you want to stuff in there
Old 09-18-2006, 05:04 PM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

I starting to explain it, but this is much better stated...

Volumetric efficiency in internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge into and out of the cylinders. More correctly, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of what volume of fuel and air actually enters the cylinder during induction to the actual capacity of the cylinder under static conditions. Therefore, those engines that can create higher induction manifold pressures - above ambient - will have efficiencies greater than 100%. Volumetric efficiencies can be improved in a number of ways, but most notably the size of the valve openings compared to the volume of the cylinder and streamlining the ports. Engines with higher volumetric efficiency will generally be able to run at higher RPM, and thus power, settings as they will lose less power to moving air in and out of the engine.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:54 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Im almost done typing this article... does anyone want it? Im just going to wait until next month to post it because if its going to come out on the MM&FF site its better to read it off of there.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:02 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

send it to site moderator to make into a stickie... we have a ton of stuff that should be in the stickies...

Quick Reply: Volumetric Efficiency