5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

correct way to adjust roller rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:42 PM
gixxer1

Default correct way to adjust roller rockers?

i tried zero lash then 1/2 turn with valves relaxed . the upper engine ticks and misses??? what am i doing wrong?? zero lash meaning i spin pushrod with fingers while tightening done center nut, when i feel tension then i go 1/2 turn and lock it in place.......would i be better adjust while running with a set of old tin valve covers with no tops???
Old 09-18-2006, 10:44 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: correct way to adjust roller rockers?

Stock heads with pedestal rockers?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 PM
gixxer1

edlebrock performer heads with stud mounts
Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

You should just take out the lash when the valve is closed, then do between 1/2 and 1 full turn....no more and no less for the proper preload on hydrolic lifters. Did you just recently add these heads?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
gixxer1

heads where on car a while with rockers, they where makeing some slight noise so i tried adjusting. should have left it alone!!!i did zero lash with 1/2 turn.should i go more then a 1/2???
Old 09-19-2006, 12:38 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Myabe try unloading all of them and let the lifters come back up(maybe wait a day) Then try setting again the same way. If you can try and inspect the lifters to see if they are comming up or if one is stuck down(the inside of the hydrolic lifter)
Old 09-21-2006, 07:22 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

sorry to bring up an old topic but my rockers are doing the same thing. They are extremely noisy, I know they are supposed to be louder than stock rockers, but how loud should they be. I can hear them over the exhaust at idle while sitting in the car! Should i try to loosen the rockers and let it sit awhile and then re-set them?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:35 PM
freewilly
I ♥ Acer

well , this is how i do it , adjust the intake V when the exhast V just starts to open,,,,and adjust the exhast V ,,when the intake is almost closed....now for the lash 2 things you need to watch for . when you get to the one you're adjusting. if its tight for the 1/2 turn thats means the lifter is has not bled down adjust it 1/2 turn, also watch out cause the other ones you check might have bled down , if so the pushrod will turn in your finger untill it bottoms out in the lifter,so when you but the 1/2 turn on it. its actually holding the valve open.giving you bad running etc. what i do is shake the push rod up and down when you fell it's no slack ,1/2 turn. no need to adjust with motor running. hard to explain. if you don't get it , sorry.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:45 PM
freewilly
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nmerrill

sorry to bring up an old topic but my rockers are doing the same thing. They are extremely noisy, I know they are supposed to be louder than stock rockers, but how loud should they be. I can hear them over the exhaust at idle while sitting in the car! Should i try to loosen the rockers and let it sit awhile and then re-set them?
thats why i hate hyd ones i had an hyd roller cam with rpm heads with 1.6 rollers,i adjusting them twice. still had slight clicking. i went to a low lash solid roller cam ,that the lash is set at .010 it's about as noisy as my hyd cam was . but i know its supposed to be that way . i got an extra 1500 rpm out of my motor too. 7800 rpm opposed to 6200rpm.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

um so i think what i gathered from that is you want the lifters to bleed down? And you bleed the lifter down by turning the nut until the pushrod is tight? Tight means zero lash or not able to spin it in your hand at all? The way i adjusted it was on intake i waited for exhaust to barely open, adjusted the rocker to where i could feel a little resistance in the pushrod, did another 1/2 turn and locked it down. On the exhaust valves i did the same thing only when the intake was about to close/ Is this right or not, should i tighten them down another 1/2 turn here? and what does it mean when you say your lash is at .01 or .02?

Quick Reply: correct way to adjust roller rockers?